Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

benefit; profit; utility; avail
accord
rear
advantage
election
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of "Formed on" | What is the difference between "are you understanding" and "do you
listening exercises
a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 20, 2007 19:13 pm   a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting?

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #159 "Accountants", question 2

Many companies want graduates with a master's degree in accounting, or a master's degree in business administration with ......... in accounting.

(a) a concentration
(b) an expertise
(c) a major
(d) a specialty

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #159 "Accountants", answer 2

Many companies want graduates with a master's degree in accounting, or a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting.

Correct answer: (a) a concentration

Your answer was: incorrect
Many companies want graduates with a master's degree in accounting, or a master's degree in business administration with a major in accounting.

Why isn't "major" appropriate in the sentance here? is there any mistake? thanks in advance

Julia
Julia

a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting? #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 20, 2007 23:37 pm   a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that advanced degrees (Master's, PhD) have 'majors'-- I think that denomination is only for Bachelor's degrees.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting? #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 21, 2007 0:01 am   a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting?

On second thought, I agree that it is too close a match, Julia-- so I have changed the answers in that question. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting? #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:17 am   a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting?

ok,I guess Julia might ask the differences between "major" and "concentration" here.
FangFang
I'm here quite often ;-)

a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting? #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 21, 2007 18:36 pm   a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting?

yeah, it should probably be "concentration"

In our MBA program at Belmont, that's how we referred to the area in which a person took (most of...) his electives.

We had E-commerce, Operations, Music Business, Human Resources, and Finance (if memory serves... which it might not).

I can't remember if there was another one... maybe Marketing, Accounting or International Biz.

A person didn't have to pick one, however... you could take a balanced load of electives. I took three Music Biz classes, an Ops class (System Management), and a Marketing class.

I couldn't stand Accounting... probably because I sucked at it. hehe

The toughest paper I've ever had to write -- at any level of education -- was in the required Corporate Financial & Managerial Accounting class. We had to write a ten-page paper on how changing one line item in an accounting statement would impact a company. That was awful work (for me, at least). My first attempt wasn't good enough, so the prof made me re-write the whole freaking paper just to get a B in the class.

meaning of "Formed on" | What is the difference between "are you understanding" and "do you
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does flag up mean? Is it an idiom?What does malformed mean?What does lurking mean?What does litter mean?Is it that you put in the second article by mistake?Why can't I say "today morning"? Why is it incorrect?What is the difference between close and shut?Are credit card amounts listed as current liabilities on your bank statements?What is the difference between "without trace" and "without a signhave vs. willWhat is the difference between facilitate and facility?Why can't write a SOME order?what does incessant mean?