Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

side by side; in alignment; on top of; up-to-date; well-informed
gradually
abreast
ostensibly
smoothly
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does break down mean?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"break away" vs "break out" | Meaning of "great touch"
listening exercises
What does break down mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 23, 2007 19:11 pm   What does break down mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #148 "Idioms with the phrasal verb break", question 8

Teachers in Sydney have decided to call a snap strike next week after negotiations with the State Government over a ten per cent pay increase ......... early this morning.

(a) broke into
(b) broke down
(c) broke open
(d) broke up

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #148 "Idioms with the phrasal verb break", answer 8

Teachers in Sydney have decided to call a snap strike next week after negotiations with the State Government over a ten per cent pay increase broke down early this morning.

Correct answer: (b) broke down

Why do you use break for this message?

Yolana
Yolana

What does break down mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 24, 2007 23:45 pm   What does break down mean?

The idiomatic phrasal verb is break down = collapse; destroy; cease to be useful, effective, or operable.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does break down mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:37 am   What does break down mean?

Quote:
Teachers in Sydney have decided to call a snap strike next week after negotiations with the State Government over a ten per cent pay increase broke down early this morning

Hi, Mister Micawber

Could you explain to me why there is no definite article before negotiations?
In my opinion there should be the, because we're talking here about quite definite negotiations (which took place in the past), not about negotiations in general?

thanks
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does break down mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:27 am   What does break down mean?

With a plural noun (with "s"), "the" is left out since it's not necessary and is clumsy.
Diverhank
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does break down mean? #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 25, 2007 19:20 pm   What does break down mean?

Hi lost_soul,

The point is that negotiations here are general. The article 'the' is used before 'State Government', which is where the specfic idea come in. You could say: I am having/I had discussions with the manager about my salary.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does break down mean? #6 (permalink) Tue Feb 03, 2009 19:48 pm   What does break down mean?

Dear Alan,
What does mean snap strike?

Regards
Khan
Shafqat
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does break down mean? #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:12 am   What does break down mean?

Shafqat wrote:
Dear Alan,
What does mean snap strike?
Regards
Khan

Yeh, would be good to hear the answer from the native speakers.
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does break down mean? #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:27 am   What does break down mean?

Hi Khan,

I would suggest that 'snap strike' means a strike that has been decided on without any prior warning. 'Strike' in that sense is what is euphemistically called 'industrial action' whereby employees stop working as a form of protest.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does break down mean? #9 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:31 am   What does break down mean?

You are correct. A snap strike, is a strike that has been called suddenly.
Language Coach

What does break down mean? #10 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:37 am   What does break down mean?

Oh, I'm glad I'm correct!!
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does break down mean? #11 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 am   What does break down mean?

Hi Alan,

Sorry about that. <blush>
I was responding to Gheon. I got distracted by something else when I was in the middle of writing the post, so it took me longer than expected to type a simple sentence. As a result by the time I hit the 'reply' button, you'd already got there! Unfortunately, I didn't see that. :D
Language Coach

What does break down mean? #12 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:09 am   What does break down mean?

It happens, lol!
The point is that you probably answered to the part of the message, later deleted, which was suggesting that a snap strike is an unplanned strike.
But after certain consideration I suggested that it is unlikely due to the fact that there're certain words in the sentence that work against this hypothesis:
Teachers in Sydney have decided to call a snap strike next week.

But if you both say so then it must be right.
Perhaps, after all, this means that the decision was taken instantly or something like that.
Thanks, anyway for your snap answers :)
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does break down mean? #13 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:56 am   What does break down mean?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

113 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Gheon,

The use I know best is when politicians hint at the idea of holding a snap election. That's when they think the tide is running in their favour and the sooner they hold an election, the better. Having seen the actual sentence, I can see your point about the apparent contradiction. Maybe things are different in Australia!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does break down mean? #14 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 13:13 pm   What does break down mean?

I presume that in this case, the term 'snap' is used because there was no motion put forward previously which suggested strike action would be called for.
Personally (in the UK, not Australia) I would say that a snap decision had been made to hold a strike (thus making the strike a 'planned strike'), but I'm no expert in the machinations of politics and trade unions. They seem to be a law unto themselves anyway. :D
Language Coach

What does break down mean? #15 (permalink) Wed Oct 05, 2011 17:49 pm   What does break down mean?

what was broke down early in the morning in the sentence?

thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"break away" vs "break out" | Meaning of "great touch"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Why it's not" breath out "?What does this mean: Come home full circle?What does at the very least mean?typo: surgeonMy friend is brokeHe always helps out the underprivilegedDoes 'sponsor' mean the same as 'give help'?interest vs. interestinglyCome under a lot of scrutiny?Sovereign' vs 'autonomous'?meaning of aftertastecorrelative of comparison: as ... asrelation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?