Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to keep in existence; to preserve; to support; to provide for
bond
experience
maintain
process
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does few, little and some mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the difference between "check-in counter" and "arrival? | What does phrase mean: "very hot under the collar"?
listening exercises
What does few, little and some mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 27, 2007 17:07 pm   What does few, little and some mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #249 "Few, a little and some (1)", question 10

My boss is very particular about everything and he has very ......... tolerance for silly mistakes.

(a) few
(b) little
(c) some

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #249 "Few, a little and some (1)", answer 10

My boss is very particular about everything and he has very little tolerance for silly mistakes.

Correct answer: (b) little

I want to know what few, little and some means.

Thanks!
Heiko
Heiko

What does few, little and some mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 27, 2007 20:25 pm   What does few, little and some mean?

"few" is usually used with a quantifiable unit...something you can count and it means a small number like two or three. "some" and "little" can be used for all situations. To me "some" is more than "little" but I know of no hard and fast rules on this.

In this test, "few" is wrong because "tolerance" is not quantifiable. "Little" and "some" can be right except that we simply don't use "very some" together so it has to be "very little". Also, if you'd used, "he has some tolerance" here, while grammatically correct, it would not have made sense.
Diverhank
I'm here quite often ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does few, little and some mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 27, 2007 21:25 pm   What does few, little and some mean?

couple = two

"Couple" is really the only definite -- it must be two.

The rest depend on the judgment of the speaker/writer, within general parameters:

few = 3 or 4 (approximately -- but at least three, not more than about five -- fairly narrow range)

several = at least four... up to as many as eight or nine (approximately)

What does few, little and some mean? #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:15 am   What does few, little and some mean?

From Random House:

—Idiom
a couple of: more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: 'It will take a couple of days for the package to get there.' Also, a couple.

What is the difference between "check-in counter" and "arrival? | What does phrase mean: "very hot under the collar"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of "damp squib"what ist difference between alone und alonely?meaning of convinceWill you be kind to tell me why lay has been used and not "LAY"why this sentence must be sue 'going'?what's 'to' and 'for' mean?Idiom: keeps his coolWhat the difference between "else" and "also"?What does school field trip mean?meaning of economic circumstancesWhen did you talk vs. When does you talkmeaning of courtThrow in the towel? What does it mean? It it an idiom?