to advance; to encourage; to promote; to assist
subsidize
overwhelm
form
further

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

Awfully vs. horribly | Difference between listen and hear
When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 20, 2004 17:38 pm   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", question 6

He thought they would all share the cost of the meal but unfortunately he ......... up paying for everybody.

(a) end
(b) ended
(c) finish
(d) finished

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", answer 6

He thought they would all share the cost of the meal but unfortunately he ended up paying for everybody.

Correct answer: (b) ended

He thought they would all share the cost of the meal but unfortunately he end up paying for everybody.
_________________________

correct sentence:

Correct answer: (b) ended

your sentence:

Dear Alan...why is used "end up" and not "ended up" because as i can see the sentence use the past time?

Irakez
Irakez

Ended up #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 20, 2004 18:05 pm   Ended up

You are right, the correct answer is (b) ended (simple past).

TOEIC short conversations: Business interview

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Ended up #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:06 am   Ended up

Simple past - it's clear. But i can't get why "ended" is wrong

Ended up #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:09 am   Ended up

:oops: sorry, i mean "finished"...

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:07 am   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

The original sentence seems incorrect: "He thought they would all share the cost" and "unfortunately _he_ (his friend or who?) ended up paying for everybody".

Maybe test could be better with "she thought that wealthy John will pay for her drink as usually, but unfortunately he ended up paying for everybody".
Void

end up vs finish up #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:31 am   end up vs finish up

hi,

when i did the Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", question 6, the answer is "ended up".
But I know that we also have "finish up", so what're the differences between them?
Ann Nguyen

hello #7 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 19:51 pm   hello

I don't understand the differance between end up and finish up. Why did you use "end up"? Could you please explain to me the differance between them?
Ismail

Location: Turkey

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #8 (permalink) Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:52 am   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

I also didn't understand the difference :(
Oznur

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #9 (permalink) Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:23 am   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

Hi Oznur,

I think you have to go back to the two main verbs - end and finish. Both have slightly different meanings and also are used idiomatically in different ways. One difference is that 'end' has the sense of a natural conclusion whereas 'finish' is perhaps more the idea of a managed conclusion. This difference follows through with 'end up' and 'finish up'. For that reason 'ended up' is the answer in the test because the natural result/consequence of nobody sharing the cost was that 'he' had to pay - he ended up paying for everyone.

_________________

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #10 (permalink) Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:47 am   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

Thank Alan. It's clear now.

Ann^^
Ann Nguyen

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #11 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:00 am   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

oh, thanks dear Alen, i got it now
Laleh.rafiee

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #12 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:34 am   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

i want to dominate on past tense related confusing phrases & sentence which is like present perfect tense. elucidate me please.
Mitra2212

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #13 (permalink) Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:26 am   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

Thanks a lot Alan. Now I understand more about the diference between "end" and "finish".
Greetings.
Polo
Leopoldo Gonzalezpolo

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #14 (permalink) Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:25 am   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

I would like to know more that if end is naturally caused,then can we use 'end' when we want to say that we want to something to stop,or intentionally done act,or we have to use finish instead of it.
I also would like to know is there any difference between,finish,end,over,and stop.
Luby

When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up) #15 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 21:37 pm   When do I use the simple past of 'end up'? (end up vs. ended up)

Hello Alan

I don't understand please can you explain why I put the correct answer ended and the exersice says it is finished?

Thank
Maddy

Location: Italy

Your little girl usually cries to get her way...Why "put up" is not cinsidered as a viable option here?Difference between 'populated' and 'popular'?difference between the use of site and placeWhy stands instead of calm?Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, copeDiffrence between another and "the other"After vs. laterIdiom: there's little chanceDifference between yet and stillIdiom: 'heaven only knows'Meaning of "There's no point"To bite the dust