Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

despite the fact that; in spite of the fact that
directly
yet
until
although
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Finished vs. ended

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Whats the meaning of open-door? | difference between pirates and smugglers
listening exercises
Finished vs. ended #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 20, 2004 17:40 pm   Finished vs. ended

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", question 7

After the children had ......... doing their homework, the whole family watched television.

(a) ends
(b) ended
(c) fnishes
(d) finished

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", answer 7

After the children had finished doing their homework, the whole family watched television.

Correct answer: (d) finished

Your answer was: incorrect
After the children had ended doing their homework, the whole family watched television.

After the children had finished doing their homework, the whole family watched television.

Correct answer: (d) finished

Your answer was: incorrect
your sentence:
After the children had ended doing their homework, the whole family watched television.
"why it can't be used "finished"?

Finished vs. ended #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 20, 2004 18:08 pm   Finished vs. ended

They finished doing their homework is the correct answer because it means they completed their homework.
Please, take a look at Alan's explanations here:
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic1409.html
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic707.html

TOEIC short conversations: Catering service is calling a customer
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Free English Tests for ESL/EFL > English Grammar Test, Elementary Level #4 #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 07, 2009 21:47 pm   Free English Tests for ESL/EFL > English Grammar Test, Elementary Level #4

After the children had ......... doing their homework, the whole family watched television.
(a) ends
(b) ended
(c) fnishes - there are changed places letters!!!
(d) finished

the way: Home > Free English Tests for ESL/EFL > English Grammar Test, Elementary Level # 4

Free English Tests for ESL/EFL > English Grammar Test, Elementary Level #4 #4 (permalink) Sun Mar 08, 2009 15:22 pm   Free English Tests for ESL/EFL > English Grammar Test, Elementary Level #4

Hi Tilt, thanks for the poem.

FINISHED is the correct answer.

Free English Tests for ESL/EFL > English Grammar Test, Elementary Level #4 #5 (permalink) Sun Mar 08, 2009 15:49 pm   Free English Tests for ESL/EFL > English Grammar Test, Elementary Level #4

Kitosdad wrote:
Hi Tilt, thanks for the poem.

FINISHED is the correct answer.

Thanks for your reply. I know what the actual answer is. By this message I meant that there is an error on this test. Not grammatical but just lack of one letter in the 3rd variant.
You are very welcome!

Regards,

Whats the meaning of open-door? | difference between pirates and smugglers
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does prowling mean?Expression: a special language for childrenwhat does announcement of performance mean?how come can use "to seeing"?'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him'Meaning of "Decompression sickness manifests"Press is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principlequantities vs statisticswhat is phrasal verbs?what is the antonym of the word petition?What is the difference between overlook and overtake?What does 'beg me' mean?