Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to create; to write; to relax; to calm oneself; to settle
regulate
posture
compose
rate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of 'pass over' | I'd like explanations to these questions, thanks!
listening exercises
What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"? #1 (permalink) Mon May 07, 2007 18:24 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #156 "Idioms with the phrasal verb drop", question 4

Students who are required to pass a test to enter the 9th grade are more likely to ......... prior to entering 10th grade.

(a) drop off
(b) drop out
(c) drop behind
(d) drop in

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #156 "Idioms with the phrasal verb drop", answer 4

Students who are required to pass a test to enter the 9th grade are more likely to drop out prior to entering 10th grade.

Correct answer: (b) drop out

I don't quite understand the meaning of the sentence.
Could you please explain it to me?

Vurhal
Vurhal

What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"? #2 (permalink) Mon May 07, 2007 19:07 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

Hi,

'Drop out' has the sense of leaving a course before you take the final exam. Here the suggestion is that those students who have to take take a test to get into the 9th level/grade will probably leave before they get to the next level.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"? #3 (permalink) Tue May 06, 2008 13:32 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

Hi, Alan

I noticed that you used the article "the" before 9th grade, but left out that article when you wrote 10th grade.
Can I conclude that I can either include "the" or leave it out when I say "8th grade" or "9th grade" ?

Thank you in advance!
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:50 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

Dear Mr Alan, one time said: the 9th, we don't have to add 'the' before 10th grade/to the next level?

many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

meaning of 'pass over' | I'd like explanations to these questions, thanks!
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Why keep a dog?baby birds hatch from themAre there any lessons for ESL before you take ESL test?the call logget away Scot-freeWhy it's not" breath out "?Would you like me to transfer you?What does this mean: Come home full circle?honest, hard-working folksa variety of amenitiesJohn is paid per monthWhat are certain multimedia messaging services?What does "pass up" mean?