to create; to write; to relax; to calm oneself; to settle
regulate
posture
compose
rate

What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

meaning of 'pass over' | I'd like explanations to these questions, thanks!
What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"? #1 (permalink) Mon May 07, 2007 18:24 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

ESL/EFL Test #156 "Idioms with the phrasal verb drop", question 4

Students who are required to pass a test to enter the 9th grade are more likely to ......... prior to entering 10th grade.

(a) drop off
(b) drop out
(c) drop behind
(d) drop in

ESL/EFL Test #156 "Idioms with the phrasal verb drop", answer 4

Students who are required to pass a test to enter the 9th grade are more likely to drop out prior to entering 10th grade.

Correct answer: (b) drop out
_________________________

I don't quite understand the meaning of the sentence.
Could you please explain it to me?

Vurhal
Vurhal

What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"? #2 (permalink) Mon May 07, 2007 19:07 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

'Drop out' has the sense of leaving a course before you take the final exam. Here the suggestion is that those students who have to take take a test to get into the 9th level/grade will probably leave before they get to the next level.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"? #3 (permalink) Tue May 06, 2008 13:32 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

Hi, Alan

I noticed that you used the article "the" before 9th grade, but left out that article when you wrote 10th grade.
Can I conclude that I can either include "the" or leave it out when I say "8th grade" or "9th grade" ?

Thank you in advance!

What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:50 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?

Dear Mr Alan, one time said: the 9th, we don't have to add 'the' before 10th grade/to the next level?

many thanks

Why keep a dog?baby birds hatch from themAre there any lessons for ESL before you take ESL test?the call logget away Scot-freeWhy it's not" breath out "?Would you like me to transfer you?What does this mean: Come home full circle?honest, hard-working folksa variety of amenitiesJohn is paid per monthWhat are certain multimedia messaging services?What does "pass up" mean?