to distract; to entertain; to turn in a different direction; to deflect
task
commit
divert
converge

Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?

Why is rye uncountable? | Throughout at the beginning of a sentence?
Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'? #1 (permalink) Fri May 11, 2007 11:08 am   Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #23 "The bank raid", question 3

Then suddenly Sid thought of a plan in which they could get held of money very quickly and very easily.

(a) thought
(b) which
(c) held

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #23 "The bank raid", answer 3

Then suddenly Sid thought of a plan in which they could get hold of money very quickly and very easily.

Correct entry: hold
The error was: (c) held

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
Then suddenly Sid thought of a plan in which they could get lot of money very quickly and very easily.
_________________________

Do we say to get hold of money to say to make a lot of money?

thank you
Damian
Damian

Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'? #2 (permalink) Fri May 11, 2007 11:42 am   Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?

BTW, What about this version:
Then suddenly Sid thought of a plan in which they could get a lot of money very quickly and very easily

Is it correct and natural?

Thank you !

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'? #3 (permalink) Fri May 11, 2007 17:40 pm   Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?

"to get hold of money" is a phrase. For the test, "get lot of money" would be wrong -- should be " a lot"

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with "to make a lot of money" or "can get a lot of money" .
Diverhank

Location: California, USA

Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'? #4 (permalink) Fri May 11, 2007 19:00 pm   Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?

Hi Damian,

The whole point of 'get hold of money' in this test means find and get money using unconventional methods very quickly.

_________________

Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'? #5 (permalink) Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:38 am   Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?

Hi Alan,
Because "can get a lot of money" is also correct, I would suggest to include it in your Data Base as a correct answer.
Regards
Frank Stern

Location: Mexico

Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'? #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:44 am   Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?

Hi Frank,

The phrase that's being tested here is 'get hold of'. There are probably dozens of possible ways of expressing the same idea.

TOEIC short conversations: Preparing for a test

"out of a sense" vs "in a sense of"What does float one's boat mean?Meaning of 'Species'What does "scenic spot" mean?Does "delineate" also mean "describe"?This is a great website!'If you look out the window' vs 'If you look out of the window'Meaning of murdererWhat am i to do now?meaning of deviateMeaning of "At 6 pm sharp"Contraction of "do not" is "don't"Difference between deduct and reduce