worthy of adoration; impressive; wonderful; marvelous
apt
admirable
number
sensitive

difference between close and closely? Maybe 'closely' simply is wrong word?

accommodate vs suit | their vs his or her
difference between close and closely? Maybe 'closely' simply is wrong word? #1 (permalink) Sat May 19, 2007 19:58 pm   difference between close and closely? Maybe 'closely' simply is wrong word?

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #20 "Singular vs. Plural Nouns", question 9

Now remember when you're travelling on the underground train, don't stand too closely to the doors.

(a) remember
(b) on
(c) closely

ESL/EFL Test #20 "Singular vs. Plural Nouns", answer 9

Now remember when you're travelling on the underground train, don't stand too close to the doors.

Correct entry: close
The error was: (c) closely

You have not found the error.
Now remember when you're travelling by the underground train, don't stand too closely to the doors.
_________________________

Is there any difference between close and closely? Maybe "closely" simply is wrong word?

Eureka
Eureka

difference between close and closely? Maybe 'closely' simply is wrong word? #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:07 am   difference between close and closely? Maybe 'closely' simply is wrong word?

One of the meanings of 'closely' is 'in a close manner'. Now, what we need here is an adverb that modifies not the way we stand, but where we stand: close to, or very near (the doors).

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this idiom mean: spend money like water?What does this idiom mean: 'she simply throws cold water on it'?Who makes most decisions in a democracy?What is a 'cardboard character'?What does "wound" mean?meaning of "make ends meet"Why not "over there"?The tense isn't the past tense, is it?what does back-off mean?meaning of skybluemeaning of the phrase 'on purpose''they are like as two peas in a pod' vs 'they are like two peas in a pod'What does lesser mean?