monetary penalty; punishment which involves the payment of specified sum of money
component
possibility
fine
viewpoint

Idiom: Things can only get better

former shipmates | please exlain :" smile, laugh, grin"
Idiom: Things can only get better #1 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2007 2:15 am   Idiom: Things can only get better

ESL/EFL Test #32 "Responses (5)", question 8

Jill: 'What's your view of what's coming next?'
Frank: '.........'

(a) Things can only grow better.
(b) Things can only get better.
(c) Things can only show better.
(d) Things can only appear better.

ESL/EFL Test #32 "Responses (5)", answer 8

Frank: 'Things can only get better.'

Correct answer: (b) Things can only get better.
_________________________

Please tell met he mean of the correct answer!

Gelawani
Gelawani

Idiom: Things can only get better #2 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2007 9:56 am   Idiom: Things can only get better

'Things can only get better' is what we often say and expect when a situation has reached its lowest point and it looks as if things can't be worse. It means that we hope the situation improves.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: Things can only get better #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 22, 2011 15:55 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

Hey!can we say what's you view is what's coming the next?what is the difference btw the next and next ?Thanks
Klubnika

Location: Ukraine

Idiom: Things can only get better #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 22, 2011 16:53 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

What's your view on what's coming next?
means
What do you think will happen next?
_________________

Idiom: Things can only get better #5 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 18:37 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

Thanks!but still i don't know the difference when we can write the next and next?:-)
Klubnika

Location: Ukraine

Idiom: Things can only get better #6 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 18:44 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

You can only use 'the' when it relates to something else. Then it is usually optional.

the next thing I knew I was on the floor. ('the' relates to 'thing')
You could also leave 'the' out of that example:
Next thing I knew I was on the floor.
_________________

Idiom: Things can only get better #7 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 21:07 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

Hi Klubnika,

The important thing is that the addition of 'the' specifies the noun to which it refers. In that sentence I have used 'the' three times and in each case I am referring to something specific. If I say: The next time I saw her she was married, I am talking about that specific time (date ) when I saw her. If I say: Next time you go to France, let me know. In that case 'the' is omitted because it isn't a definite or precise time and is similar to saying: When you next go to France.

Hope that makes the difference clear.

_________________

Idiom: Things can only get better #8 (permalink) Fri Feb 25, 2011 19:17 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

Oh...THANKS so much for those explenations!now its really better for me to understand!:-)
Klubnika

Location: Ukraine

Idiom: Things can only get better #9 (permalink) Wed Mar 09, 2011 15:47 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

Hello:-)please tell me if it is possible to say:to form devices or is better to say to create devices.I mean it would be incorrect to use :to form devices or we can use a few of synonyms?
Klubnika

Location: Ukraine

Idiom: Things can only get better #10 (permalink) Wed Mar 09, 2011 20:18 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

Can you explain a little more, Klubnika?

What sort of devices are you thinking about?
_________________

Idiom: Things can only get better #11 (permalink) Wed Mar 09, 2011 22:11 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

I mean made by physicians!and what about usage of the word of money,can I use it instead of the word funds?
Klubnika

Location: Ukraine

Idiom: Things can only get better #12 (permalink) Wed Mar 09, 2011 23:36 pm   Idiom: Things can only get better

To each case (devices and money) I'd say it really depends on the wider context. Sometimes you could use those alternatives, other times they would be inappropriate.
_________________

Idiom: Things can only get better #13 (permalink) Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 am   Idiom: Things can only get better

Okey,i will give the example.Money (funds)received by the Institute from the rent or property sale in its full amount is turned to comletion its statutory tasks.is it incorrect at all to use the word money?and The workers or researches of the Institute can form devices,instruments.The word form in the meaning to create,can be used here?and what about this sentence:Basic researches are made by the qualified workers of the Institute of Physics.have i to use fundamental investigations,i 've found in the dictionary this phrase basic researches?what is right?
Klubnika

Location: Ukraine

Idiom: Things can only get better #14 (permalink) Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 am   Idiom: Things can only get better

The full amount of money (funds) received by the Institute from the rent or property sale in its full amount is turned used to comletion complete its statutory tasks.

You can use money, but funds is a better vocabulary choice here as the specific meaning fits the purpose.

The workers or researches researchers of the Institute can form (create) devices and instruments.

Again, you could use 'form', but 'create' is the better vocabulary choice. It clarifies the meaning.

Basic researches are made research is carried out by the qualified workers of the Institute of Physics.
Fundamental investigations are carried out/made by the qualified workers of the Institute of Physics.

You can use either, but notice that you can make an investigation, but you cannot make research.
_________________

Idiom: Things can only get better #15 (permalink) Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 am   Idiom: Things can only get better

Thank you so much for giving me explanation.by the way,my name is Marina:-)
Klubnika

Location: Ukraine

baby penguins hatchWhat does get picked on mean?cash flowprojected salesthe greatest potentiala $30 billion-per-year industry.site by site/ building by buildingit wasn't a real oneIf we don't bring a map, how will we know where to go?When I finally get to schoolget outWhy is "at home" correct?bureau vs office