to convince; to induce; to sway
persuade
operate
dash
bargain

Quibble vs. argument

What does 'at stake' mean? Is it an idiom? | meaning of Shortfall
Quibble vs. argument #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:53 am   Quibble vs. argument

Test No. incompl/advan-11 "Finance", question 2

The great thing about this guarantee is that there is never any doubt and there is no ......... about getting your money back.

(a) squabble
(b) argument
(c) quibble
(d) quarrel

Test No. incompl/advan-11 "Finance", answer 2

The great thing about this guarantee is that there is never any doubt and there is no quibble about getting your money back.

Correct answer: (c) quibble

The great thing about this guarantee is that there is never any doubt and there is no argument about getting your money back.
_________________________

what is the exact meaning of quibble?

Limbo
Limbo

Quibble vs. argument #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:23 am   Quibble vs. argument

A quibble is the act of evading an argument or discussion. For example, if a company doesn't want to offer their customers the service they are entitled to they start quibbling. That means they are looking for petty ways to escape liability.

TOEIC short conversations: Taking food order

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Advance - test 11 #3 (permalink) Sat May 14, 2005 5:13 am   Advance - test 11

Dear Sir,
I look up dictionary and find out all 4 of them have the same meaning: squabble, quibble, quarrel, argument. Could you please explain more?
Thank you very much and Best regards
doanngockhanh

Quibble #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:39 am   Quibble

In the context, argument fits just as well. As a matter of fact the company might say in their guarantee that they reserve the right to argue claims, but they would state that they have the right to quibble.
macoulin

Quibble #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:40 am   Quibble

ooops...they wouldn't state they have the right to quibble.
macoulin

Difference between quibble and argument #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 14, 2005 14:45 pm   Difference between quibble and argument

In the given sentence there is only one correct option that is quibble. We are not talking about the text of the warranty here. Of course you can say that the company argues a claim. However, you can not replace quibble with argument in the phrase there is no quibble because quibble describes the act of evading an argument whereas an argument is simply a dispute over an issue.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A family eating dinner

Quibble vs. argument #7 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:12 pm   Quibble vs. argument

Hi everyone, could somebody tell me what is difference between argument and row. Thanks.
Sipa2008

Quibble vs. argument #8 (permalink) Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 am   Quibble vs. argument

quibble NOUN
ˈkwɪbl ˈkwɪbl

=a small complaint or criticism, especially one that is not important/A petty distinction or an irrelevant objection.
-minor quibbles
-The only quibble about this book is the lack of colour illustrations.
-The machine comes with a three-year no quibble guarantee.
_________________

Quibble vs. argument #9 (permalink) Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 am   Quibble vs. argument

What is difference between argument and row?

row (n)
1. a noisy quarrel or dispute
2. a noisy , serious disagreement; commotion we couldn't hear the music for the row next door
3. a reprimand
give (someone) a row (Informal) = to scold (someone); tell off sb.

argument (n)
a. A discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate.
b. A quarrel; a dispute.

I think that both is a disagreement but a row happens noisily and more loudly.
_________________

Even though he and her mother were all hunky dory againn the United States, a 401K plan allows a person to save for his/her retirementIf a company announces a recall, that means there is something wrong...The company celebrated because they have been in business for a century.The company celebrated.Referring to animals with its/his/her?Expression 'Cash in hand'The meaning and the usage of the word "mirage"Aurora borealis concerns specific areas, doesn't it?Difference between travel and tripSlowdown vs. slownessWhat is a 'lump sum'?Difference between balance and cost