to grant a permit; to authorize; to permit; to allow
copy
signify
stem
license

Finish vs. finished

Grammar question: They are likely to (use adverb) | meaning of "Went about their business"
Finish vs. finished #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:11 am   Finish vs. finished

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", question 8

You could tell the time by him because he always ......... work at exactly the same time every day.

(a) ends
(b) ended
(c) finish
(d) finished

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", answer 8

You could tell the time by him because he always finished work at exactly the same time every day.

Correct answer: (d) finished

You could tell the time by him because he always finish work at exactly the same time every day.
_________________________

but in any other situdtions, how can i differentiate the present tense and the past tense of a verb? Just like "I always do sth" / "I always finished sth"?

Whether the "finished" means "accomplish"?

benny
benny

Present simple vs. simple past #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:59 am   Present simple vs. simple past

You can tell the time by him because he always finishes work at exactly the same time every day. (present simple)

You could tell the time by him because he always finished work at exactly the same time every day. (simple past)

to finish work = to stop working
to finish university = to graduate from university
to finish the project = to complete the project

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Paleontology

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
To dip your toe in the waterTo have a finger in every pieMinor vs. tinyReach and arrive atWhat does the phrasal verb 'put off' mean? Is it an idiom?Shake them by the handTry your hand atChange of heartTry your hand at running a businessThe last person to come home or who came home?Rules vs. regulationsIs this an example of past progressive (was thinking)?Call on vs. call in