Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to be talented; to do very well; to surpass; to do better than
wrong
involve
warehouse
excel
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Weave wool and spin yarn?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between adore and worship | meaning of 'form of aerobic activity for a cardiovascular workout'
listening exercises
Weave wool and spin yarn? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:18 am   Weave wool and spin yarn?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #266 "Irregular Verbs Test (14)", question 5

My grandmother ......... the wool for a beautiful blanket that she knitted by hand. I still have it today.

(a) weave
(b) wove
(c) woven

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #266 "Irregular Verbs Test (14)", answer 5

My grandmother wove the wool for a beautiful blanket that she knitted by hand. I still have it today.

Correct answer: (b) wove

You're terminology is mistaken here. (I'm a textile graduate) It's not possible to weave yarn and knit it. They are 2 distinct operations. Woven fabric has a warp and a weft. Knitted fabric is stretchy and has no warp or weft.
You SPIN YARN and then you use the YARN to either weave or knit.
The sentence should read:
My grandmother SPUN the wool for a beautiful blanket that she knitted by hand.......
OR
My grandmother SPUN the wool for a beautiful blanket that she WOVE by hand......
A a textile graduate

Weave wool and spin yarn? #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:30 am   Weave wool and spin yarn?

Hi,

Thanks for taking the trouble to point that out.

Incidentally on a language point we can use the expression 'spin a yarn' in a figurative way also to mean tell a long story - usually one that's not true.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Weave wool and spin yarn? #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 03, 2007 16:12 pm   Weave wool and spin yarn?

Does that mean you find it acceptable to use irregular verbs incorrectly as long as the irregular form is correct?

Wove vs. spun #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 am   Wove vs. spun

Hello,
I apologize for the error in this question. I didn't know that. I'm not a textile graduate and I haven't worked in the industry before. I will change the test so that it is correct with regard to textile terminology. Thanks for pointing that out. :D
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Difference between adore and worship | meaning of 'form of aerobic activity for a cardiovascular workout'
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
their vs his or herwhat does back-off mean?meaning of skybluemeaning of the phrase 'on purpose'What does lesser mean?What does poverty mean?If we use 'at the moment' in here, does it mean 'right now'?what does apart mean?elsewhere vs somewheremeaning of competitivemeaning of shotsmeaning of valuableCan I use the expression 'look through' with the adverb 'carefully'?