to ascend; to up; to slope upward; to move upward gradually
profit
rely
climb
criticize

their vs his or her

difference between close and closely? Maybe 'closely' simply is wrong word? | The tense isn't the past tense, is it?
their vs his or her #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:00 pm   their vs his or her

ESL/EFL Test #101 "Possessive pronouns", question 3

The proud parents brought home ......... new baby girl.

(a) his
(b) her
(c) their

ESL/EFL Test #101 "Possessive pronouns", answer 3

The proud parents brought home their new baby girl.

Correct answer: (c) their
_________________________

why not his or her?

Emma
Emma

their vs his or her #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2007 15:46 pm   their vs his or her

"parents" is plural

If one parent were bringing home the baby, it would be "The proud father brought home his baby girl" or "The proud mother brought home her baby girl".
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between "smitten" and "smote"?What does this idiom mean: spend money like water?What does this idiom mean: 'she simply throws cold water on it'?Who makes most decisions in a democracy?What is a 'cardboard character'?What does "wound" mean?meaning of "make ends meet"Why not "over there"?what does back-off mean?meaning of skybluemeaning of the phrase 'on purpose''they are like as two peas in a pod' vs 'they are like two peas in a pod'What does lesser mean?