to sell; to trade or deal; to distribute; to promote
prefer
indulge
market
generate

What does "wound" mean?

'they are like as two peas in a pod' vs 'they are like two peas in a pod' | What does this idiom mean: 'she simply throws cold water on it'?
What does "wound" mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:46 am   What does "wound" mean?

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Irregular Verbs Test (15)", question 2

Kathy ......... the garden hose around the existing wheel and then put it into the shed.

(a) wind
(b) wound
(c) winding

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Irregular Verbs Test (15)", answer 2

Kathy wound the garden hose around the existing wheel and then put it into the shed.

Correct answer: (b) wound
_________________________

GIVE EXPLANATION

GrammarGeek
GrammarGeek

Wound #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 08, 2007 21:29 pm   Wound

The definition of wind in this case (wound - past tense) is: "to turn completely or repeatedly about or around an object." Merriam-Webster dictionary. So, in this sentence, a garden hose is being turned (or wound) around an object (the existing wheel).
People often wind garden hoses etc. around wheels in order to keep things tidy and clean.
I hope this helps. :D
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does "stumble" mean?What does "quit" mean?What does "give up" mean? Is it a phrasal verb?What does this phrase mean: 'carried on regardless'?What is the difference between "dead" and "dying"?What is the difference between "smitten" and "smote"?What is the difference between "bend" and "turn"?What does this idiom mean: spend money like water?Who makes most decisions in a democracy?What is a 'cardboard character'?meaning of "make ends meet"Why not "over there"?The tense isn't the past tense, is it?