custom; something that one is used to doing; part of a routine; behavior pattern
residence
copy
habit
intensity

What is the difference between "smitten" and "smote"?

Who makes most decisions in a democracy? | What is the difference between "dead" and "dying"?
What is the difference between "smitten" and "smote"? #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:46 am   What is the difference between "smitten" and "smote"?

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Irregular Verbs Test (15)", question 9

In the dark ages, areas in Europe were ......... by horrible and tragic diseases.

(a) smite
(b) smote
(c) smitten

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Irregular Verbs Test (15)", answer 9

In the dark ages, areas in Europe were smitten by horrible and tragic diseases.

Correct answer: (c) smitten

In the dark ages, areas in Europe were smote by horrible and tragic diseases.
_________________________

why smitten and not smote. Is this past progressive form?

Wallie
Wallie

What is the difference between "smitten" and "smote"? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:09 am   What is the difference between "smitten" and "smote"?

Smote is the past tense and smitten is the past participle, which is needed in this passive construction - were smitten.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What is "Ecosystem restoration"?What does phrase mean: "he stood me up"?How do I sign a business letter?How do you pronounce "askew"?What does "stumble" mean?What does "quit" mean?What does "give up" mean? Is it a phrasal verb?What does this phrase mean: 'carried on regardless'?What is the difference between "bend" and "turn"?What does this idiom mean: spend money like water?What does this idiom mean: 'she simply throws cold water on it'?What is a 'cardboard character'?What does "wound" mean?