stand; booth; pen; pretext to delay
apparel
stall
disease
yield

What is the difference between "dead" and "dying"?

What is the difference between "smitten" and "smote"? | What does this phrase mean: 'carried on regardless'?
What is the difference between "dead" and "dying"? #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 10, 2007 13:20 pm   What is the difference between "dead" and "dying"?

ESL/EFL Test #160 "Expressions with death, marriage and divorce", question 3

Our poor old dog is .......... We've had him for fourteen years. He just sleeps all day long.

(a) dead
(b) dying
(c) death
(d) die

ESL/EFL Test #160 "Expressions with death, marriage and divorce", answer 3

Our poor old dog is dying. We've had him for fourteen years. He just sleeps all day long.

Correct answer: (b) dying

Our poor old dog is dead. We've had him for fourteen years. He just sleeps all day long.
_________________________

Why we must put dying? and dog actually die by something?

Paula
Paula

What is the difference between "dead" and "dying"? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 10, 2007 15:35 pm   What is the difference between "dead" and "dying"?

We know that the dog isn't dead yet, since he sleeps all day long.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "requirement" mean?What is "Ecosystem restoration"?What does phrase mean: "he stood me up"?How do I sign a business letter?How do you pronounce "askew"?What does "stumble" mean?What does "quit" mean?What does "give up" mean? Is it a phrasal verb?What is the difference between "bend" and "turn"?What does this idiom mean: spend money like water?What does this idiom mean: 'she simply throws cold water on it'?Who makes most decisions in a democracy?What is a 'cardboard character'?