person of group of people that runs and administers a business or other enterprise
management
incumbent
pocket
badge

Buried vs. confined

Why keep a dog? | She will be able to make an honest man of me
Buried vs. confined #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 30, 2004 22:20 pm   Buried vs. confined

Test No. incompl/inter-6 "The Farmer and his Sons", question 7

As soon as their father had died and been ........., the sons took out all their farming tools and started to dig the land.

(a) grounded
(b) earthed
(c) confined
(d) buried

Test No. incompl/inter-6 "The Farmer and his Sons", answer 7

As soon as their father had died and been buried, the sons took out all their farming tools and started to dig the land.

Correct answer: (d) buried

As soon as their father had died and been confined, the sons took out all their farming tools and started to dig the land.
_________________________

What does buried mean??
ana

Buried #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 30, 2004 22:28 pm   Buried

This means put in a coffin (wooden box) and then lowered into the ground. When someone dies, they are buried and this takes place during a burial service.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Buried vs. confined #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:01 am   Buried vs. confined

What about grounded?
Avec2012

Buried vs. confined #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:30 am   Buried vs. confined

'grounded' has nothing to do with burial.
It has three meanings. To be grounded can be:
- to have a well-balanced personality and a sensible outlook on life,
- to be confined to the house and not allowed to go out. This usually applies to children/teenagers as a punishment by their parents.
- to be unable to fly or not allowed to fly for some reason, when speaking of an aircraft or a member of an aircraft's crew.
_________________

Buried vs. confined #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:09 am   Buried vs. confined

Thanks for your timely answer, Beeesneees.
Avec2012

A freedom warrior is a common term...get on with the rugby match.I'm catching the red-eyebaby birds hatch from themAre there any lessons for ESL before you take ESL test?the call loga variety of amenitiesJohn is paid per monthWhat are certain multimedia messaging services?Why is the answer beside?What does diagnose mean?difference between get away with and get byWhat does whilst mean?