person who accepts; person who takes or gets
recipient
press
entertainer
delegate

What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?

Meaning of 'overrun' | Meaning of 'come into force'
What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2004 0:21 am   What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?

Test No. incompl/advan-47 "You have to go", question 1

My job has gone because my boss has ......... me.

(a) burned
(b) fired
(c) lit
(d) flamed

Test No. incompl/advan-47 "You have to go", answer 1

My job has gone because my boss has fired me.

Correct answer: (b) fired

My job has gone because my boss has flamed me.
_________________________

Hello Torsten!
Why my answer is incorrect?
Happy Christmas!
Gold Member

Fired #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:18 am   Fired

Flame as a verb means set fire to. Fire is dismiss someone from their job, give someone the sack.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Get fired #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:20 am   Get fired

Well,

To get fired is a set expression and it means that you lose your job, you are dismissed from your responsibilities. You see, this is something that cannot happen to english-test.net forum members like you :)

TOEFL listening lectures: Why are red crosses erected on Tanna Island?

Mary XMas! #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 31, 2004 17:55 pm   Mary XMas!

Many thanks Torsten and Alan!
I like your site very much.
Your ESL tests and especially explanations are wonderful!
GMAT Vocab is for me difficult yet, but I will learn English more.

I hope you make many new beautiful things after new Year!

Mary Xmas!!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'? #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 02, 2013 22:35 pm   What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?

Hello Torsten,

Your post is very moving, reassuring and comforting. I could imagine that our letters give rise to misunderstanding. I know we can't translate well our thoughts, and this means misunderstandings between teachers and students. I resolved to not to look for the mistakes in the others but in myself.

Regards:

P.S: I would recommend this test to everybody because it's really interesting.

Cargo cults are an odd backwater of primitive religious thought, but nevertheless, they do offer some interesting insights into the actual functioning of some early religious beliefs.
_________________

What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'? #6 (permalink) Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:29 pm   What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?

Hello Torsten,

As you see I made this test on 2.th August.
Test: Why are red crosses erected on Tanna Island?
Now I wanted the send the text to somebody. I opened the text, and I saw that my pic isn't any more on there.

When I had done Unchan was on the first place. After doing I was on the first place and Unchan on the second.

I don't know for how many ours or days my pic was there but by today it disappeared. It disappeared so that nobody came in my first place only my pic has been dropped - because anybody got on my first place, simply Unchan had been placed again on the first place.

When I caught sight of this inexplicable event, I became so lost in my thoughts, I 've fought back my tears . I turned on the record again, but I couldn't understand the well-known text, I was unable to listen to it. Of course I made 2 mistakes.After all, me also, I am a human being if I couldn't prove it on the ETN. Only its contrary. Unfortunately I became HERE a very defensive person and laughing-stock. Otherwise,in life i am the contrary of this pic about myself.

Can I ask you who was disturbed by my pic? About I know who isn't interested in it that I am there or not. But who can't tolerate my pick? It happened usually in the first year when I began the ETN. I wanted the truth would out, but when I saw that it is impossible, I resigned myself in it. But to see my test after 9 days that it had been disappeared,it was very shocking.

Do you understand me? Or not? I feel that on this course I can't show my real face, and I should have left this course long time ago, because my defensive attitude showed another pic of me. It is very difficult to identify myself with this other person.

Regards:
_________________

Why "no cigar"?teaching your wife to drive?briefing vs. clearingWhat does proposed mean?Assure vs. assertMeaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted'Survive = continue to liveWhat does reading public mean?High profile and high dramaMeaning of 'would-be house buyer'Difference between transpose and transferWhat is the difference between goal and aim?What does wear thin mean?