first; primary; innovative; creative; novel
eager
original
limited
fussy

What does idiom mean: "keep your head above the water"?

What does "requirement" mean? | What does cereal mean?
What does idiom mean: "keep your head above the water"? #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 14, 2007 17:39 pm   What does idiom mean: "keep your head above the water"?

English Idioms and Expressions, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Just keep it", question 1

Charlie's having a lot of problems with his business but at least he's keeping his head above water.

(a) not drowning
(b) keeping dry
(c) managing to survive
(d) trying to swim

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Just keep it", answer 1

Charlie's having a lot of problems with his business but at least he's managing to survive.

Correct answer: (c) managing to survive
_________________________

JustaMinorThing
JustaMinorThing

What does idiom mean: "keep your head above the water"? #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 14, 2007 19:21 pm   What does idiom mean: "keep your head above the water"?

'Keeping his head above water' gives the idea that he not going under and drowning but in this story it suggests that he is just able to make enough money to live on. In other words he is not losing money and failing.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
what is the meaning of bombed?Meaning of the expression: in the fullness of timeWhat does ALMOST mean? How to distinguish?lost vs losemeaning of professesUsing swear words to describe political parties?Does 'hold forth' refer only to speaking?Question about deprecationWhy did 'calmed her anger' not incorrect?What is "Ecosystem restoration"?What does phrase mean: "he stood me up"?How do I sign a business letter?How do you pronounce "askew"?