made of a thin flexible cord of metal
healthy
rear
fellow
wire

'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'

Help! I will drown! | decay vs. rot
'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym' #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:36 pm   'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'

Business English Courses, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #42 "Basic Business English", question 5

She is a member ......... the gym.

(a) for
(b) from
(c) by
(d) of

ESL/EFL Test #42 "Basic Business English", answer 5

She is a member of the gym.

Correct answer: (d) of

She is a member by the gym.
_________________________

why of and not by?

Ummy
Ummy

'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym' #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 24, 2007 14:25 pm   'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'

.
We are members 'of' organizations, not 'by' organizations, Ummy.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym' #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:35 am   'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'

when we use "of" and "by?
Pure

'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym' #4 (permalink) Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm   'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'

Both words have many, many uses-- far too many to explain here. Start by reading THIS and THIS.
_________________

Help! I will drown! | decay vs. rot
What is your word for 'fun'?Psychiatrist vs psychologist vs psychotherapist vs psychoanalyst?Sentence: Sunglasses protect your eyes against the sun's (direct) harsh blaze...Can we use Font size in this sentence or is it too technical..."Earlier XYZ&Co." or "Formerly XYZ&Co."What is the difference between before and in front of?Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?Warmest season vs. hottest seasonUsage of air conditionersWhy 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.Why did Timothy draw a picture for his mother?Both of my parents vs. Lots of my parentsMeaning of "between you and me"