Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

push; lift; incentive; encouragement
attachment
fence
option
boost
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

what does wring, wrung, wringing mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
sings vs sang | meaning of plausible
listening exercises
what does wring, wrung, wringing mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:31 am   what does wring, wrung, wringing mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #266 "Irregular Verbs Test (14)", question 10

You have to ......... the water out of those wet clothes before you hang them up to dry.

(a) wring
(b) wrung
(c) wringing

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #266 "Irregular Verbs Test (14)", answer 10

You have to wring the water out of those wet clothes before you hang them up to dry.

Correct answer: (a) wring

what does wring/wrung/wringing mean?

Lolala
Lolala

what does wring, wrung, wringing mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:58 am   what does wring, wrung, wringing mean?

Havent you ever handled any wet pieces of cloth after you wash them in a tub or something? Before you hang them up to dry, you have to dispose of most of the water that is in those pieces of cloth. What will you do to accomplish this task if all the means you have is a pair of hands (your hands). That action is called wringing the water out of wet clothes (i.e. twisting those clothes so hard that water starts leaking out of them)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
what does wring, wrung, wringing mean? #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:02 pm   what does wring, wrung, wringing mean?

My online dictionary says: "wring - to hold something tightly with both hands and twist it by turning your hands in opposite directions" Obviously "wrung" is past tense for "wring"...

what does wring, wrung, wringing mean? #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:13 pm   what does wring, wrung, wringing mean?

Ahmadov wrote:
My online dictionary

You own an on-line dictionary? That kicks a$$ :)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

what does wring, wrung, wringing mean? #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:15 pm   what does wring, wrung, wringing mean?

Yes, I am running one :)

what does wring, wrung, wringing mean? #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:23 pm   what does wring, wrung, wringing mean?

Hey, that was a joke... I am not running any web site. I just use www.dictionary.cambridge.org
I have been using this web site so intensively that I feel it belongs to me... :)

sings vs sang | meaning of plausible
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What what's the meaning of fed?When do we use so and that? So vs thatIT and logistics help dissect the value-added process?meaning of "ex ante noncontractible"meaning of succulentsExpression: "talk down"Idiom: he shot himself in the footmeaning of 'Maintain the heights'what is the differenc between sorts and kinds?Sub prime Mortgages and effects are illegal"go with the bus" vs "go by the bus"meaning of the collocation 'Under stress'meaning of "direct sales"