totality; completeness; entirety
whole
customs
vendor
bubble

meaning of 'Maintain the heights'

Idiom: he shot himself in the foot | meaning of succulents
meaning of 'Maintain the heights' #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2007 13:52 pm   meaning of 'Maintain the heights'

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #2 "Send the right message", question 6

Keep your spirits up, it may not be as bad as you think.

(a) Don't get depressed
(b) Carry on drinking
(c) Don't let the levels drop
(d) Maintain the heights

ESL/EFL Test #2 "Send the right message", answer 6

Don't get depressed, it may not be as bad as you think.

Correct answer: (a) Don't get depressed
_________________________

please just wanted to know the meaning of :maintain the heights - don`t let the levels drop

shery
shery

meaning of 'Maintain the heights' #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 26, 2007 23:03 pm   meaning of 'Maintain the heights'

.
They don't really mean anything (beyond the combination of the words themselves); they are 'false collocations' created as distractors for this question.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
meaning of 'Maintain the heights' #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:55 am   meaning of 'Maintain the heights'

Hi, MM
I tried googling them to find out if they are popular, and here is the result of my research:
Maintain the heights http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Maintain+the+heights%22
over 22 thousand links

The other one alas wasnt so popular which means that it probably oddly sounds

meaning of 'Maintain the heights' #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:58 am   meaning of 'Maintain the heights'

.
And if you google 'keep the heights', you get 62,400 English pages-- but that tells us nothing about whether it's an idiom, lost soul. They are just collocations of words... and not particularly popular at that. I don't think that we should consider phrases to be commonly acceptable in any sense until we get hits of at least 6 digits.
.
_________________

What does "day in day out" mean?Idiom: cook the fatted calfIdiom: have your cake and eat itWhat what's the meaning of fed?When do we use so and that? So vs thatuse of the word swelledIT and logistics help dissect the value-added process?meaning of "ex ante noncontractible"Expression: "talk down"meaning of plausiblewhat does wring, wrung, wringing mean?sings vs sangwhat is the differenc between sorts and kinds?