Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

dividend; perk; monetary gift
voucher
semester
bonus
division
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of plausible

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
what does wring, wrung, wringing mean? | Expression: "talk down"
listening exercises
meaning of plausible #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:39 am   meaning of plausible

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #88 "Verbal Advantage", question 6

Although her boss knew that she was not telling the truth, her explanations for being late were always so reasonable and totally ......... that he believed her.

(a) pleasant
(b) perceptive
(c) penetrating
(d) plausible

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #88 "Verbal Advantage", answer 6

Although her boss knew that she was not telling the truth, her explanations for being late were always so reasonable and totally plausible that he believed her.

Correct answer: (d) plausible

Your answer was: incorrect
Although her boss knew that she was not telling the truth, her explanations for being late were always so reasonable and totally perceptive that he believed her.

what actually mean plausible?

Edita
Edita

meaning of plausible #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:17 am   meaning of plausible

Quote:
what does plausible mean?

if you consider something plausible, you tend to believe that this "something" is true.
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of plausible #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:51 am   meaning of plausible

I first met the word "plausible" in a chess article. A player thought that one particular move was plausible, i.e. it could be considered correct and winning. However, later on that player lost because the move failed him. So, I have an impression that "plausible" means something that seems "correct" or "reliable" but in fact it is not... I might be wrong though...

what does wring, wrung, wringing mean? | Expression: "talk down"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What what's the meaning of fed?When do we use so and that? So vs thatuse of the word swelledIT and logistics help dissect the value-added process?meaning of "ex ante noncontractible"meaning of succulentsIdiom: he shot himself in the footmeaning of 'Maintain the heights'sings vs sangwhat is the differenc between sorts and kinds?Sub prime Mortgages and effects are illegal"go with the bus" vs "go by the bus"meaning of the collocation 'Under stress'