Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

act of casting back a mirror image; act of sending back energy from a surface; idea; concept
cash
reflection
cheque
plumber
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I am glad that he got his just desserts. | Got to keep you sharp. Just trying to keep you on your toes.
listening exercises
What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:20 am   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Test No. incompl/elem-6 "Start/Begin", question 3

We ......... off early on the first day of summer so that we could see the sun rise.

(a) began
(b) started
(c) starting
(d) beginning

Test No. incompl/elem-6 "Start/Begin", answer 3

We started off early on the first day of summer so that we could see the sun rise.

Correct answer: (b) started

Your answer was: incorrect
We began off early on the first day of summer so that we could see the sun rise.

please explain why not started off?

thank you so much.
Mikita
Mikita

Started off #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 03, 2005 13:12 pm   Started off

The correct answer is (b) started off.
For more information on start vs. begin, please read this article by Alan Townend:
http://www.english-test.net/articles/24/index.html

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a life sciences class (4)
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this phrasal mean: "start off"? #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:10 am   What does this phrasal mean: "start off"?

can you tell me what does "start off" mean?
Baogamer

What does this phrasal mean: "start off"? #4 (permalink) Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:51 am   What does this phrasal mean: "start off"?

Hi,

This is usually used to indicate the start/beginning of a trip or a journey.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:55 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Can I say "I started off my project"
Arumugam
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of "started off" in past tense? #6 (permalink) Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:34 am   meaning of "started off" in past tense?

In this section :
We ......... off early on the first day of summer so that we could see the sun rise.
the answer is started off.
I wonder why it come to past tense? Could you explain me?
thanks in advance

Teakay
Teakay

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #7 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:12 am   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Beccause of time co-ordination,I think. The second sentence was in The past tense,and so was the first one.
Morteza
I'm here quite often ;-)

Error in scoring TOEIC vocabulary test #8 (permalink) Fri Nov 21, 2008 20:19 pm   Error in scoring TOEIC vocabulary test

Hi,
I've practiced this tests today and noticed an error when I saw the scores. The answers which I marked were corrected, but they turned into another incorrect answer. F.ex.: I marked the answer "a.start", but it turned to "b.begin" incorrect, when it was evaluated automatically, "start" was really correct answer which I've chosen . Is it a technical problem?
Marifat

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #9 (permalink) Mon Nov 24, 2008 21:59 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Hi,

Which question are you referring to? As far as I can see all the answers are shown correctly.
Many thanks,
Torsten

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about TV set prices
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #10 (permalink) Thu Nov 27, 2008 19:32 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Hi,
Yes, you are right. There was some misunderstanding, I was "fresh" here.
Thank you, you are doing a good job helping to improve English skills!
Regards,
Marifat
Marifat

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #11 (permalink) Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:23 am   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Hi,
Can you explain the difference of "start" and "begin".
Thanks
Karen
Magicwhere

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #12 (permalink) Thu Aug 13, 2009 13:37 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Hi,
Would you please give us some examples using word "star and Begin".
I have been using these words for many times but to me they are the same.
Can you differentiate them?
Sousa

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #13 (permalink) Thu Aug 13, 2009 16:51 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Hi Sousa,

You probably mean 'start' and 'begin'? (Not 'star' as you wrote?) Well, for starters, you should read this: Start or begin?

Best regards,
Torsten

TOEIC short conversations: Helping a colleague
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

To Torsten #14 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:05 am   To Torsten

Hi Torsten ,

Thanks a lot for all prestigious efforts .

Regards ,
Vinod Gandhi
Vinod.gandhi

What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"? #15 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:21 am   What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?

Hi, Mr Torsten!
My name is Quynh. I come from Vietnam. Do you know Vietnam?
Can you tell me: Do "start off " and "start up" mean?
Regards,
Bui Quynh
Bui Quynh

I am glad that he got his just desserts. | Got to keep you sharp. Just trying to keep you on your toes.
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesas mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workto keep his creditors at bayI got the piece into my editor's office just in the nick of timeit was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhemshe should start jockeying for positionYou are like a little kid with jam all over his face.jump through hoopsMeaning of "jump on the bandwagon"what does sole mean?Use of "slip"