to hunt; to pursue; to run over; to race
gain
instrument
course
preface

Idiom: have your cake and eat it

use of the word swelled | Idiom: cook the fatted calf
Idiom: have your cake and eat it #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 01, 2007 13:31 pm   Idiom: have your cake and eat it

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #3 "A piece of cake", question 2

The trouble with you is that you are a bit selfish and your sole philosophy is to have your cake and eat it.

(a) expect too much of life
(b) lead a life of pleasure
(c) spend your life eating
(d) eat too much

ESL/EFL Test #3 "A piece of cake", answer 2

The trouble with you is that you are a bit selfish and your sole philosophy is to expect too much of life.

Correct answer: (a) expect too much of life
_________________________

what deos it mean ?

shery
shery

Idiom: have your cake and eat it #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:46 am   Idiom: have your cake and eat it

.
From Wikipedia:

To wish to have one's cake and eat it too or simply have one's cake and eat it (sometimes eat one's cake and have it too) is to want more than one can handle or deserve, or to try to have two incompatible things. This is a popular English idiomatic proverb, or figure of speech.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
revenue vs costspersuasive vs perniciousstring vs stringingWhat does "see the end of the task" mean?What does "assured us victory" mean?"given up" vs abandonWhat does "day in day out" mean?What does "blow one's top" mean?What what's the meaning of fed?When do we use so and that? So vs thatIT and logistics help dissect the value-added process?meaning of "ex ante noncontractible"meaning of succulents