being more than is needed; excessive; unnecessary
salient
striped
residual
superfluous

aggression vs persuasion

meaning of "meat market" | What does "white on rice" mean?
aggression vs persuasion #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 05, 2007 13:55 pm   aggression vs persuasion

ESL/EFL Test #20 "Money Matters (3)", question 9

If you want to make a good job of selling shares to the public, you must have an element of ......... in your approach.

(a) attacking
(b) aggression
(c) fighting
(d) invasion

ESL/EFL Test #20 "Money Matters (3)", answer 9

If you want to make a good job of selling shares to the public, you must have an element of aggression in your approach.

Correct answer: (b) aggression
_________________________

can you explain this, i mean persuasion

pegaso
pegaso

aggression vs persuasion #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:52 am   aggression vs persuasion

.
PERSUASION
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
aggression vs persuasion #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:17 am   aggression vs persuasion

talking about aggression vs persuasion I daresay aggression is a way of persuasion, isnt it?

aggression vs persuasion #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:59 am   aggression vs persuasion

I think aggression is the result of a lack of persuasion power.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a bookstore sales clerk and a student

aggression vs persuasion #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 06, 2007 13:19 pm   aggression vs persuasion

pegaso wrote:
can you explain this, i mean persuasion

Hi pegaso

I understand your question/comment to be that you think (not mean) that the word "persuasion" would be better than "aggression" in the sentence.

If that is what you intended to ask, my answer would be that "persuasion" would not be better in the sentence. My reason is this:

The whole act of selling something to someone is an act of persuading someone to buy (or do) something. However, the wording in the sentence is "an element of _____", and that indicates to me that the author of the sentence is talking about a small aspect in the style of the selling/persuading. There are different styles of or approaches to selling. A "hard sell" is a much more aggressive style than a "soft sell", for example. To me, a sales approach with "an element of aggression" is likely to be a soft sell that is "a little bit aggressive".
.
_________________

aggression vs persuasion #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 06, 2007 17:17 pm   aggression vs persuasion

Torsten wrote:
Hi Torsten
I'm not sure I understood your comment. What's your opinion on the concept of "aggressive marketing", for example? Not necessary because just a little bit of light promotion should be enough to persuade people to buy?
.
_________________

aggression vs persuasion #7 (permalink) Tue Dec 23, 2008 16:17 pm   aggression vs persuasion

Can you explain the difference between "aggression" and "attacking" in this sentence, please?

Thu
_________________
Reach an agreement as ploughing, don't let argument happen at crops.
Thunu

Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

turn vs runWhy "ever" instead of "always"?never vs. ever?What does "plum job" mean?meaning of "cat's pajamas"what does "hail" mean?diference between "speak" and "talk"Idiom: Rubber CheckWhat does "unknown quantity" means?today vs tomorrowWhat's the difference between win and gain?have a crack: Is that have a try/go?tomorrow night vs. today night