significant; important
spot
meaning
articulate
pretentious

Directory enquiries and directory assistance

So that it is as if | What does 'losing patience' mean?
Directory enquiries and directory assistance #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:23 am   Directory enquiries and directory assistance

Test No. incompl/advan-61 "Trains", question 1

It was necessary to telephone ......... enquiries before we could get the number to ring up the railway station.

(a) dictionary
(b) directory
(c) survey
(d) compendium

Test No. incompl/advan-61 "Trains", answer 1

It was necessary to telephone directory enquiries before we could get the number to ring up the railway station.

Correct answer: (b) directory

It was necessary to telephone dictionary enquiries before we could get the number to ring up the railway station.
_________________________

why directory is correct and dictionary is incorrect
JOSE

Directory enquiries #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:30 am   Directory enquiries

Directory enquiries is a call-center service which you can telephone if you want to find out someone's telephone number. This service is called Directory Enquiries in the UK and Directory Assistance is in the US.
A dictionary is a reference book that contains vocabulary words and their definitions. You can refer to a dictionary but you cannot telephone it.

TOEFL listening lectures: What aspect of Carl Sandburg's life does the professor mainly discuss?

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Matter of principleDiscuss or introduce the matter?Can you hear what he is saying? What does that mean?What does 'funded' mean? Does it have to do with money and finances?What does 'trading on the stockmarket' mean in this sentence?What does 'make a bid' mean?What does 'Brass band' mean?What is the difference between near and by?News is or areUnder a delusionCode of conduct or code of practice?'Plans have been drawn up' means 'Plans have been created'?Didn't have much