stated briefly but clearly; clear and concise; short and to the point
succinct
temporary
irrelevant
committed

Test the waters first

make some coffee. | stick to it
Test the waters first #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:36 am   Test the waters first

Test No. incompl/inter-59 "Testing, Testing", question 3

I think you're wise to find out first before you agree and believe it's a good idea to test the ......... first.

(a) waters
(b) springs
(c) rivers
(d) lakes

Test No. incompl/inter-59 "Testing, Testing", answer 3

I think you're wise to find out first before you agree and believe it's a good idea to test the waters first.

Correct answer: (a) waters

_________________________

meaning of the waters first-
roman

Test the waters first #2 (permalink) Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:46 am   Test the waters first

This expression means: you should first do some investigations before you make a decision.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
question 3 #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 24, 2010 23:31 pm   question 3

I try to interpret to myself. Is it good in this way?
I spoke about my plan some of my friends to test the waters before I decide whether to go to see this movie or not.

_________________

Test the waters first #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 25, 2010 0:19 am   Test the waters first

Hi Kati,

I spoke about my plan to/with some of my friends to test the waters before I decided whether to go to see this movie or not.

You could shorten it:
I spoke about seeing this movie with some of my friends in order to test the waters before making a decision.
_________________

Test the waters first #5 (permalink) Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:26 am   Test the waters first

Bz,

Thanks, my sentence is really bad. I forgot the "speak to sb". My question : I know that 'in order to 'is used when we speak about our purpose but normally it can be expressed by infinitive. Here why isn't it enough an infinitive?
Merry Christmas and thanks:
Kati
_________________

make some coffee. | stick to it
he'd cross that bridge when he came to it.Dying to hearUntil/by/up totest pilotsIs "plume" a french or english word?it must be justifiedcover all of your bases?constantly turning your headfall deeply in love.It will come as no surpriseDescribe a baby's cryHow to translate the word 'parro' into English?Structure of sentence: Obviously before you buy a car, you'll be allowed to test