Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

straw-filled mattress; hard and simple bed; platform used to stack items during moving or storage
bullion
attentiveness
pallet
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the meaning of spank? | What's the meaning of homonym, acronym, pseudonym?
listening exercises
'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport' #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 20, 2007 23:11 pm   'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #95 "auxiliary verbs: was, did, have", question 3

They ......... leaving for the airport when I last saw them.

(a) was
(b) were
(c) did
(d) had

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #95 "auxiliary verbs: was, did, have", answer 3

They were leaving for the airport when I last saw them.

Correct answer: (b) were

they have been leaving for the airport when i last saw them?

Liza K.
Liza K.

'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport' #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 20, 2007 23:50 pm   'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport'

No, present perfect does not work in this sentence, Learner. 'Were' is the correct answer.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airpor #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:32 am   'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airpor

They have been leaving for the airport when I last saw them?

Hi, in this sentence you have used Present Perfect Continuous which is in correct. The correct answer is of course "were leaving" i.e Past Continuous. :wink:
Harry Smiith
I'm here quite often ;-)

What is the meaning of spank? | What's the meaning of homonym, acronym, pseudonym?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does condesending mean?What does break open mean?What are felons?I feel so lonely?expressed vs. impressedWhat is the meaning of "strikes me as a little dull"?What is a debit card?Sinful stocks or what?What does glum mean?you will be fined vs. you will be finelaying vs. lyingHow do we use the modal verbs must and can?what does gaffes mean?