straw-filled mattress; hard and simple bed; platform used to stack items during moving or storage
bullion
attentiveness
pallet
share

'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport'

What is the meaning of spank? | What's the meaning of homonym, acronym, pseudonym?
'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport' #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 20, 2007 23:11 pm   'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport'

ESL/EFL Test #95 "auxiliary verbs: was, did, have", question 3

They ......... leaving for the airport when I last saw them.

(a) was
(b) were
(c) did
(d) had

ESL/EFL Test #95 "auxiliary verbs: was, did, have", answer 3

They were leaving for the airport when I last saw them.

Correct answer: (b) were
_________________________

they have been leaving for the airport when i last saw them?

Liza K.
Liza K.

'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport' #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 20, 2007 23:50 pm   'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport'

.
No, present perfect does not work in this sentence, Learner. 'Were' is the correct answer.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airpor #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:32 am   'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airpor

They have been leaving for the airport when I last saw them?

Hi, in this sentence you have used Present Perfect Continuous which is in correct. The correct answer is of course "were leaving" i.e Past Continuous. :wink:
Harry Smiith

Location: Moscow, Russia

What does condesending mean?What does break open mean?What are felons?I feel so lonely?expressed vs. impressedWhat is the meaning of "strikes me as a little dull"?What is a debit card?Sinful stocks or what?What does glum mean?you will be fined vs. you will be finelaying vs. lyingHow do we use the modal verbs must and can?what does gaffes mean?