of secondary importance; insignificant; corresponding
late
ambiguous
collateral
imaginary

what does harsh mean?

What is the meaning of "foxed"? | what does gaffes mean?
what does harsh mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 23, 2007 14:29 pm   what does harsh mean?

English Idioms and Expressions, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Expressing Emotions", question 9

I would like to apologize for what I said to you the other day. I was very insensitive to you. Will you forgive me?

(a) compassionate
(b) sympathetic
(c) pathetic
(d) harsh

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Expressing Emotions", answer 9

I would like to apologize for what I said to you the other day. I was very harsh to you. Will you forgive me?

Correct answer: (d) harsh
_________________________

what does harsh mean?

Manul
Manul

what does harsh mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 23, 2007 17:43 pm   what does harsh mean?

Apart from 'insensitive, 'harsh' has the sense of 'cruel' or 'sharp'. A punishment can be harsh, for example.

A voice can be harsh, too, which means that it is rough and unpleasant.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does glum mean?What's the meaning of homonym, acronym, pseudonym?What is the meaning of spank?you will be fined vs. you will be finelaying vs. lyingHow do we use the modal verbs must and can?What's the difference between 'such breeds like' and 'such breeds as'?'as long as' vs 'when'What does this idiom mean "to ace something"?'they have been leaving for the airport' vs 'they were leaving for the airport'What is the difference between sink and drop?Could you distinguish 2 verbs 'remark' and 'notice'?What does "freezer" mean?