person who creates sets of instructions for a computer or other device
generation
programmer
pushy
duty

How do we use the modal verbs must and can?

What's the difference between 'such breeds like' and 'such breeds as'? | laying vs. lying
How do we use the modal verbs must and can? #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 25, 2007 19:36 pm   How do we use the modal verbs must and can?

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #4 "When you go to France...", question 3

In that case you must can to speak the language as well as a native French person.

(a) can
(b) speak
(c) as well as
(d) French

ESL/EFL Test #4 "When you go to France...", answer 3

In that case you must be able to speak the language as well as a native French person.

Correct entry: be able
The error was: (a) can
_________________________

why can?
Ricardos

How do we use the modal verbs must and can? #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:02 am   How do we use the modal verbs must and can?

.
'Can' is wrong in the original sentence, and must be replaced by 'be able'. 'Must can to' is not an allowable English structure.
.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
expressed vs. impressedWhat is the meaning of "strikes me as a little dull"?What is a debit card?Sinful stocks or what?What does glum mean?What's the meaning of homonym, acronym, pseudonym?What is the meaning of spank?you will be fined vs. you will be finewhat does gaffes mean?'as long as' vs 'when'what does harsh mean?What is the meaning of "foxed"?What does this idiom mean "to ace something"?