regard; esteem; renown
picture
might
reputation
ZIP

Discuss or introduce the matter?

What does 'make a bid' mean? | Can you hear what he is saying? What does that mean?
Discuss or introduce the matter? #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 09, 2005 22:58 pm   Discuss or introduce the matter?

Test No. incompl/inter-36 "Go for it", question 3

We won't ......... that now but I don't think we can avoid the subject much longer.

(a) discuss
(b) enter
(c) introduce
(d) interrupt

Test No. incompl/inter-36 "Go for it", answer 3

We won't discuss that now but I don't think we can avoid the subject much longer.

Correct answer: (a) discuss

We won't introduce that now but I don't think we can avoid the subject much longer.
_________________________

Why not introduce the subject ?

thanks for the answer
guest

Discuss #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 09, 2005 23:16 pm   Discuss

When I wrote the test I had in mind that people were discussing other matters and didn't want to discuss that particular subject. I agree that introduce does at first sound acceptable but my intention is that the speaker doesn't want to talk about the subject and it isn't a question of raising the subject or starting it.

Thank you for your interesting point.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between code of conduct and code of behaviourWhat does 'fixed term' mean?Difference between merge and blendYield profitsWithdraw moneyMatter of principleWhat does pussy footing mean? Is it an idiom? Or is it a swear word?Didn't think much of...delay vs. latenessWhat does 'funded' mean? Does it have to do with money and finances?What does 'trading on the stockmarket' mean in this sentence?What does 'Brass band' mean?What does 'losing patience' mean?