to place one thing on top of another in a heap; to pile
prevail
stack
vaccinate
publicize

You've clearly got talent? What does that mean?

Document should be loaded face down | Parallel resistor question
You've clearly got talent? What does that mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:46 am   You've clearly got talent? What does that mean?

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #72 "How to encourage", question 6

You've clearly got ......... and it's obvious that you'll get to the top.

(a) control
(b) power
(c) talent
(d) strength

ESL/EFL Test #72 "How to encourage", answer 6

You've clearly got talent and it's obvious that you'll get to the top.

Correct answer: (c) talent
_________________________

Please tell me why is here only one choice correct?
Pegaso

Location: Vienna

You've clearly got talent? What does that mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:01 am   You've clearly got talent? What does that mean?

It is clear from what the speaker says that they are talking about ability because of the comment about getting to the top. The nearest word to 'ability' is 'talent'.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
You've clearly got talent? What does that mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 am   You've clearly got talent? What does that mean?

(a) control
(b) power
(c) talent
(d) strength

Wouldn't you say that all the given choices are possible depending on the situation? For example, for a person climbing the (a?) rope you will say:

You've clearly got strength and it's obvious that you'll get to the top.

For a robber who has got control of a three-story building

You've clearly got control and it's obvious that you'll get to the top.

Please give your opinions.

You've clearly got talent? What does that mean? #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:22 am   You've clearly got talent? What does that mean?

Hi Tom,

You have made some interesting comments but I feel that 'getting to the top' suggests the idea of reaching the top of your profession/occupation. I think the idea that you have suggested would have to be written as: Clearly you are strong enough .. but I can't see it working with 'control' or 'power'.

_________________

You've clearly got talent? What does that mean? #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 03, 2007 17:10 pm   You've clearly got talent? What does that mean?

.
'Get to the top' can be used in a business context, but it is also used in other contexts.

The test is titled "How to encourage", and the sentence itself does not indicate "to the top of what" at all. Neither the sentence nor the test title indicates a business context. In addition, getting to the top in business often requires something other than or more than talent. So I don't see why "strength" couldn't also be seen as an appropriate choice.
.
_________________

You've clearly got talent? What does that mean? #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 03, 2007 17:58 pm   You've clearly got talent? What does that mean?

Hi Tom,

Just for the record the heading for this group of tests is:

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

You've clearly got talent? What does that mean? #7 (permalink) Fri Aug 03, 2007 18:57 pm   You've clearly got talent? What does that mean?

.
Yes, I realize that, Alan, and that is precisely why I was so specific in my comments.
.

Edit:
Oh, sorry, Alan. I overlooked the fact that you had addressed your last comment to Tom.
So, Tom, I guess this post is actually for you. :D
.
_________________

What does "stay dry" mean?Celebrities are usually surrounded by their bodyguards?grammar of vocabulary tests?What is a planogram goods in the retail domain?What does "flex" mean?How can I become a forum member?What does profit mean?What does 'term cost' mean?What does condesending mean?What does break open mean?What are felons?I feel so lonely?expressed vs. impressed