person who creates something; chemical substance used in photography
treat
money
notebook
developer

Difference between interrupt and interfere

Kill joy, worried sick | Convey vs. move
Difference between interrupt and interfere #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 10, 2005 13:29 pm   Difference between interrupt and interfere

Test No. incompl/elem-21 "Remove the Spoon", question 9

Yes, doctor I'm sorry I ......... you.

(a) intervened
(b) intersected
(c) interrupted
(d) interfered

Test No. incompl/elem-21 "Remove the Spoon", answer 9

Yes, doctor I'm sorry I interrupted you.

Correct answer: (c) interrupted

Yes, doctor I'm sorry I interfered you.
_________________________

when do we use interfere and interrupt?

sofia klara
sofia klara

Difference between interrupt and interfere #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 10, 2005 15:24 pm   Difference between interrupt and interfere

To interfere means to hinder, to impede, to influence in a negative way.
To interrupt means to stop or bring to a halt.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention New York Harbor?

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between interrupt and interfere #3 (permalink) Tue May 22, 2007 1:22 am   Difference between interrupt and interfere

Why not: Yes, doctor I'm sorry I've interrupted you. It has just happened. So can I use Present Perfect here?
Snoopy_Blah_Blah

Difference between interrupt and interfere #4 (permalink) Tue May 22, 2007 11:08 am   Difference between interrupt and interfere

Snoopy_Blah_Blah wrote:

Yes, the present perfect can also be used here.

Difference between interrupt and interfere #5 (permalink) Tue May 22, 2007 12:58 pm   Difference between interrupt and interfere

.
In American English, I would never expect to hear the present perfect used in this type of sentence. Never. The format of an apology about one small, specific and complete action would be "I'm sorry (that) I did that" (simple past tense) or possibly "I'm sorry for doing that" (i.e.for+gerund).

To possibly use the present perfect in this context (in American English), the present perfect would have to be more divorced from the apology itself and, in addition, there would probably be some mention of something else which would directly tie "have interrupted" to the present -- something like this:

"Oh, I'm sorry, Doctor! Now I've interrupted you. Please go on (with what you were saying)."
_________________

Difference between interrupt and interfere #6 (permalink) Tue May 22, 2007 14:05 pm   Difference between interrupt and interfere

Yankee wrote:
.
In American English, I would never expect to hear the present perfect used in this type of sentence.

As a matter of fact, the present perfect isn't such an important tense in American English, where the rules for its use are different.

Difference between interrupt and interfere #7 (permalink) Tue May 22, 2007 16:48 pm   Difference between interrupt and interfere

Beware, Conchita! :wink:

I've had people disagree with me when I've dared to suggest that there is a difference in the frequency of usage of the present perfect between the US and the UK -- naysayers both here and in other forums. :?

I don't see the difference as a huge one, but I do agree with you that the present perfect tends to be used somewhat more often in BE and that the difference in usage is a noticeable one.
_________________

Difference between interrupt and interfere #8 (permalink) Tue May 22, 2007 20:58 pm   Difference between interrupt and interfere

Hi, Yankee ;)

could you tell me what on earth naysayers means ?

Difference between interrupt and interfere #9 (permalink) Fri May 25, 2007 15:23 pm   Difference between interrupt and interfere

tr.v. nay·said (-sd), nay·say·ing, nay·says (-sz)
To oppose, deny, or take a pessimistic or negative view of: They will naysay any policy that raises taxes.
Swapnil.Kale

Location: Pune, India

Difference between interrupt and interfere #10 (permalink) Fri May 25, 2007 15:24 pm   Difference between interrupt and interfere

but can it be used as " Naysayers" ?
Swapnil.Kale

Location: Pune, India

Difference between interrupt and interfere #11 (permalink) Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 am   Difference between interrupt and interfere

Hello, Mr Torsten..
I like your explanation. Maybe can you explain to me the use of "intersected"? Thanks
Watie

Location: Indonesia

Re: Difference between interrupt and interfere #12 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 10:01 am   Re: Difference between interrupt and interfere

Lost_Soul wrote:
Hi, Yankee ;)

Naysayer is noun and it means that "one who says no,one who refuses"
DemonAFC

Re: Difference between interrupt and interfere #13 (permalink) Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:38 am   Re: Difference between interrupt and interfere

I really love American English :)
Thanks for your great definition , Yankee :)
You are an an excellent teacher indeed :)
Ahmad6889

Location: Iran

folders created automaticallyHanding down all her clothes?meaning of grateWhich vs. whoWhom vs. thatWhat does "That'll be the day" mean?Difference between appearance and apparitionMeaning of 'try me'Difference between all and everythingWhy is correct "She must be very healthy"?"How are you doing?" vs. "How do you do?"Meaning of "At any time whatsoever"What does "it's all Greek to me" mean?