to have different opinions; to differ
disagree
protect
familiarize
place

What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible?

Why the verb eat can have the meaning of the adjective irritable? | Relative humidity and air temperature
What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible? #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:11 pm   What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible?

ESL/EFL Test #404 "Banking in China", question 2

China's record-breaking performance in raising more than US$46bn is all the more stunning given that, just two years ago, the challenge of cleaning up balance sheets and non-performing loan portfolios was ......... next to impossible by the international investment community.

(a) convinced
(b) deemed
(c) evinced
(d) seemed

ESL/EFL Test #404 "Banking in China", answer 2

China's record-breaking performance in raising more than US$46bn is all the more stunning given that, just two years ago, the challenge of cleaning up balance sheets and non-performing loan portfolios was deemed next to impossible by the international investment community.

Correct answer: (b) deemed

_________________________

hiya,
Sorry,can't understand that " deemed next to impossible " :( , "the challenge .....was deemed impossible by the international investment community" seems ok,right? :) thanks for answering.

PS: for question 9, why not use "catalyst"? I mean," ingredient" here sounds very abstract to me. thanks again!
FangFang

What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible? #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:20 pm   What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible?

was deemed impossible = they considered it impossible
next to = almost

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible? #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 21, 2007 23:29 pm   What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible?

.
Hi FangFang,

Yes, 'catalyst' is probably not far enough away from possibility. My original thought was that 'catalyst' was too strong a word. I think I'll change it, thanks.
.
_________________

Set expression 'sore throat'internal communications vs. external communicationswhat is the difference between travel and trip?What they mean by "in fact"?"don't you" vs. "haven't you"What mean by eating out of sb'c hands?What is a mastermind?What does anew mean?Twelve months in this year?meaning of "to take after"What are question tags?difference between noun and subjectUse of past tense (sent vs. send)