Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who travels back and forth between home and work
explorer
dedication
shrewdness
commuter
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: he was down on his luck

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
ID photocopy vs ID photocopies | Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top?
listening exercises
Idiom: he was down on his luck #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 22, 2007 18:04 pm   Idiom: he was down on his luck

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Lucky You", question 9

Everyone decided to help him by offering money as they'd heard he was ......... on his luck.

(a) low
(b) down
(c) off
(d) below

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Lucky You", answer 9

Everyone decided to help him by offering money as they'd heard he was down on his luck.

Correct answer: (b) down

Your answer was: correct

Hi, help me with this idiom please? Does it mean he was without any money?
Thanks,

Ildikos
Ildikos

Idiom: he was down on his luck #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 22, 2007 18:21 pm   Idiom: he was down on his luck

Yes, it basically means he didn't have any money OR that he had very little money or he didn't have enough enough money to pay for the necessities of life. Saying that someone is 'down on their luck' is usually a reference to a temporary situation. He may have lost his job, for example, and for this reason he has little or no income at the moment.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: he was down on his luck #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:48 am   Idiom: he was down on his luck

I understand it now Yankee the difference between down and off but when we use off?
Thameem
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

ID photocopy vs ID photocopies | Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does idioms 'a land of honey and milk, having a whale of time' mean?'a long row of houses' vs 'a long row of cows'An idiom 'Keep body and soul together'The sentence provides you with the slang idiom used in context...Meaning of 'make an offer for it'Does elegant means the way of serving the food?why is the verb dance in Past Indefinite?Meaning of the idiom "lion's share of the food"Usage of "razzle dazzle"I want learn the slang languageMeaning of palWhat does "kind of interest" mean?How can I see my progress in English tests that I finished it?