to believe; to have faith in; to supply goods by deferred payment
adopt
list
credit
respond

Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey?

as long as vs. when | Meaning of 'make up'
Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey? #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 22, 2007 18:53 pm   Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey?

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Trains", question 9

We ate our sandwiches and for the ......... of the journey we enjoyed looking at the scenery.

(a) remainder
(b) remaining
(c) remained
(d) remains

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Trains", answer 9

We ate our sandwiches and for the remainder of the journey we enjoyed looking at the scenery.

Correct answer: (a) remainder

We ate our sandwiches and for the remains of the journey we enjoyed looking at the scenery.
_________________________

Hi, why remainder and not for the rest of the journey?
Ildiko
Ildiko

Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey? #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 24, 2007 13:28 pm   Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey?

Hi Ildiko

The word rest could also be used here. It is synonymous with remainder.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey? #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 20:43 pm   Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey?

Thanks a lot.
Ildiko
Ildiko

What does this idiom mean: "I'll eat my hat."Is it figurative language? (draw a line)Phrase: described struggles sea creatures find themselves facingPhrasal verb: checked out"say in two minds" = hesitate?"bear with me" = tolerate?to crack a nut: Is it Much ado about nothing?Set expression 'sore throat'internal communications vs. external communicationswhat is the difference between travel and trip?What they mean by "in fact"?"don't you" vs. "haven't you"What mean by eating out of sb'c hands?