something of value (property, equipment, goods, etc.); item of quality; something beneficial
commitment
asset
pitch
client

What does whilst mean?

a variety of amenities | What are certain multimedia messaging services?
What does whilst mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 23, 2007 15:46 pm   What does whilst mean?

ESL/EFL Test #161 "Mobile telecommunication expressions", question 2

It is ......... for drivers to exercise proper control of their vehicle at all times whilst using the mobile phone.

(a) irrelevant
(b) illegal
(c) imperative
(d) inconsequential

ESL/EFL Test #161 "Mobile telecommunication expressions", answer 2

It is imperative for drivers to exercise proper control of their vehicle at all times whilst using the mobile phone.

Correct answer: (c) imperative

It is irrelevant for drivers to exercise proper control of their vehicle at all times whilst using the mobile phone.
_________________________

What it's mean whilst. I couldn't find it in my dictionary. Maybe it supposed to be while?

Slawa
Slawa

What does whilst mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:51 am   What does whilst mean?

It is an older form of 'while'.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does whilst mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:09 am   What does whilst mean?

It's dangerous for a driver and his/her passengers to talk by mobile phone during driving and a driver shouldn't do that so why it is a imperative possibility/action by driver?

What does whilst mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 12, 2011 17:46 pm   What does whilst mean?

Because although it is dangerous it is not illegal in all countries.
When that test was written it may not have been illegal in any countries!
_________________

I'm catching the red-eyeWhy keep a dog?baby birds hatch from themAre there any lessons for ESL before you take ESL test?the call logget away Scot-freeWould you like me to transfer you?honest, hard-working folksJohn is paid per monthWhat does "pass up" mean?meaning of 'pass over'meaning of "pass round"What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?