perfect; impeccable
flawless
germane
sensible
terminal

What does "What kind of problems?" mean?

Expression "A dead language" | 'Go over the railroad tracks' vs 'Go back the railroad tracks'
What does "What kind of problems?" mean? #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:24 am   What does "What kind of problems?" mean?

ESL/EFL Test #59 "Chit Chat: On the phone", question 5

Woman: Sorry to hear that. What ......... of problems?

(a) species
(b) kind
(c) example
(d) group

ESL/EFL Test #59 "Chit Chat: On the phone", answer 5

Woman: Sorry to hear that. What kind of problems?

Correct answer: (b) kind

_________________________

Maffey
Maffey

What does "What kind of problems?" mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:47 pm   What does "What kind of problems?" mean?

Hi Maffey

When someone asks you "What kind of ___ ?" they want you to give them information that is a bit more specific. In the test, Charlie told the woman that he had had a few problems. The woman then wanted a little more information about the type of problems that Charlie had been having.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "What kind of problems?" mean? #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 13:14 pm   What does "What kind of problems?" mean?

Hi, Amy

And we cannot use articles after kind in that phrase, i.e. we must say What kind of __ man is he, right?

Thank you !

What does "What kind of problems?" mean? #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 17:29 pm   What does "What kind of problems?" mean?

Hi Alex

The test sentence uses a plural noun (problems), so the use of 'a' is automatically ruled out. ;)

I wouldn't rule out the use of 'a' with singular nouns, but I'd say it would usually be omitted.
.
_________________

What does "What kind of problems?" mean? #5 (permalink) Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:21 am   What does "What kind of problems?" mean?

could you explain for me.why i use speceis.example or group in this case is incorrec?
Hoanga9235

What does "sme business" mean?What are the introduction to secretarial procdures in an electronic offices?What does a teacher do?What does disagreeable mean?What does 'donkey work' mean?Meaning of attireDifference between summit and foothillApprenticeship or InstitutionDifference between "Therefore" and "As a result"?what does "for two pins" mean?What does thumbed mean?Phrase: I'm going to take you out to the woodshedYes, he goes everywhere with me. vs Yes, he goes nowhere with me.