to channel; to centralize
funnel
classify
note
divert

as long as vs. when

what is the difference between travel and trip? | Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey?
as long as vs. when #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:35 am   as long as vs. when

ESL/EFL Test #142 "Time clauses: future tense examples", question 9

I'll give you a ring ......... we get back from our vacation.

(a) while
(b) until
(c) when
(d) as long as

ESL/EFL Test #142 "Time clauses: future tense examples", answer 9

I'll give you a ring when we get back from our vacation.

Correct answer: (c) when
_________________________

Why not "as long as"?

Maffey
Maffey

as long as vs. when #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:37 pm   as long as vs. when

Hi Maffey

The expression 'as long as' means 'provided that'. Using this expression in the test sentence would suggest that there is a small possibility that you will never return from your vacation, and therefore there is also a possibility that you will never telephone the person.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this idiom mean: "I'll eat my hat."Is it figurative language? (draw a line)Phrase: described struggles sea creatures find themselves facingPhrasal verb: checked out"say in two minds" = hesitate?"bear with me" = tolerate?to crack a nut: Is it Much ado about nothing?Set expression 'sore throat'internal communications vs. external communicationsWhat they mean by "in fact"?"don't you" vs. "haven't you"What mean by eating out of sb'c hands?What is a mastermind?