lazy; vain; unoccupied; unemployed
idle
straightforward
colloquial
gross

difference between get away with and get by

Meaning of "get on" | get on with the rugby match.
difference between get away with and get by #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 17:36 pm   difference between get away with and get by

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Idioms with the phrasal verb get", question 3

The high school teacher was so strict that he would not let his students ......... any of the stunts that they tried to pull with their previous teacher.

(a) get away with
(b) get by with
(c) get down to
(d) get around

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Idioms with the phrasal verb get", answer 3

The high school teacher was so strict that he would not let his students get away with any of the stunts that they tried to pull with their previous teacher.

Correct answer: (a) get away with

The high school teacher was so strict that he would not let his students get by with any of the stunts that they tried to pull with their previous teacher.
_________________________

Hi!What does it mean"get away with"and also"get by with".Thanks.

Slawa
Slawa

difference between get away with and get by #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 20:13 pm   difference between get away with and get by

Hi Slawa

Look at definitions 40 and 41 http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=get+away+with&r=66]here:

40. get away with, to perpetrate or accomplish without detection or punishment: Some people lie and cheat and always seem to get away with it.

41. get by,
a. to succeed in going past: to get by a police barricade.
b. to manage to exist, survive, continue in business, etc., in spite of difficulties.
c. to evade the notice of: He doesn't let much get by him.

.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
difference between get away with and get by #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 20:54 pm   difference between get away with and get by

Hi, Amy

Apart from your a-c meanings, I stumbled on another meaning of get by with (which pretty much looks like your c option), in my opinion very similar to get away with. Here I quote a few examples I found in a dictionary so you can understand what I'm drivelling about:

1. You can't get by with being late every morning
2. I can't understand how he gets by with fooling everybody
3. He cheated on the test and got by with it
4. You'll never get by with it

Do you consider this usage of get by with natural ? Do you think we can substitute it for get away with ?

Thanks !

difference between get away with and get by #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:11 am   difference between get away with and get by

Hi Alex

I have a suspicion that the dictionary you quoted was not an American dictionary. Am I right? 8)
I would understand all of your sentences as having the meaning of definition 41b.

To me, there is no such phrasal verb as 'get by with'. In other words, the word 'with' should not be parsed together with 'get by'. 'With' might be used after 'get by', but a number of other prepositions might be used too.
.
_________________

difference between get away with and get by #5 (permalink) Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:44 am   difference between get away with and get by

Hi, Amy

Yeah, you're right, I looked it up in a dictionary compiled by russians and they didn't mention the origin of get by with (neither did they mention in what country it is used). :cool:

difference between get away with and get by #6 (permalink) Sun Aug 26, 2007 13:47 pm   difference between get away with and get by

Hi LS,

This might be a bit of a cheat since the 'with' is something added after rather than part of 'get by' but it might be interesting:

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

From 'With a little help from my friends' Beatles.

_________________

difference between get away with and get by #7 (permalink) Thu Oct 13, 2011 13:31 pm   difference between get away with and get by

stunts that they tried to pull with their previous teacher.- what does 'pull' mean in this context?

many thanks

difference between get away with and get by #8 (permalink) Thu Oct 13, 2011 13:40 pm   difference between get away with and get by

Saneta wrote:

many thanks

To execute, accomplish.
Also, "to pull a stunt" is a set phrase, meaning to play a trick, cheat.
_________________

Children should never be allowed to playPulling through this periodA freedom warrior is a common term...I'm catching the red-eyeWhy keep a dog?baby birds hatch from themAre there any lessons for ESL before you take ESL test?the call logpeople enjoyed bowling at village dancesJohn is paid per monthWhy use "starred" in this sentence?Why is the answer beside?What does diagnose mean?