inflow; inward flow; place where a stream flows into another body of water
procedure
inspiration
influx
particular

meaning of "to crack a bottle"

difference between "severe" and "strict" | We went swim every day
meaning of "to crack a bottle" #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 20:53 pm   meaning of "to crack a bottle"

ESL/EFL Test #65 "What a Cracker", question 4

In celebration at passing his examinations he invited everyone round to crack a ......... and have a drink with him.

(a) glass
(b) flask
(c) bottle
(d) jug

ESL/EFL Test #65 "What a Cracker", answer 4

In celebration at passing his examinations he invited everyone round to crack a bottle and have a drink with him.

Correct answer: (c) bottle

_________________________

Does this mean to rejoice?
Ildiko.
Ildiko

meaning of "to crack a bottle" #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:48 am   meaning of "to crack a bottle"

.
'Crack a bottle' means to open a new bottle, but could be extended to mean 'celebrate with drinking'.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
meaning of "to crack a bottle" #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 am   meaning of "to crack a bottle"

Hi teachers,

Does the expression 'to crack a bottle' mean 'to open a bottle and to drink from it' with obligatory drinking? (that is without drinking when someone only opens a bottle it is not 'cracking a bottle')

Thank you in advance,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

meaning of "to crack a bottle" #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 am   meaning of "to crack a bottle"

''Let's crack (open) a bottle' is often used as an invitation to those present to open a bottle and join with others in having a drink in some kind of celebration.
_________________

Steven held up a convenience store last week.Explain "an all-time high"What is meaning of "knock at"?Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?share vs. takeWhy stands instead of calm?Assignment vs. testExtensive vs. ampleWhy can't I use "appeared in our home" here?Waiting outside in the car? Or "around in the car"?I thought we could go out together?Diffrence between another and "the other"After vs. later