Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

inflow; inward flow; place where a stream flows into another body of water
procedure
inspiration
influx
particular
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of "to crack a bottle"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
difference between "severe" and "strict" | We went swim every day
listening exercises
meaning of "to crack a bottle" #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 20:53 pm   meaning of "to crack a bottle"

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #65 "What a Cracker", question 4

In celebration at passing his examinations he invited everyone round to crack a ......... and have a drink with him.

(a) glass
(b) flask
(c) bottle
(d) jug

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #65 "What a Cracker", answer 4

In celebration at passing his examinations he invited everyone round to crack a bottle and have a drink with him.

Correct answer: (c) bottle

Your answer was: correct

Hi,
Does this mean to rejoice?
Thanks,
Ildiko.
Ildiko
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of "to crack a bottle" #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:48 am   meaning of "to crack a bottle"

'Crack a bottle' means to open a new bottle, but could be extended to mean 'celebrate with drinking'.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
meaning of "to crack a bottle" #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 am   meaning of "to crack a bottle"

Hi teachers,

Does the expression 'to crack a bottle' mean 'to open a bottle and to drink from it' with obligatory drinking? (that is without drinking when someone only opens a bottle it is not 'cracking a bottle')

Thank you in advance,
Vladimir.

meaning of "to crack a bottle" #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 am   meaning of "to crack a bottle"

''Let's crack (open) a bottle' is often used as an invitation to those present to open a bottle and join with others in having a drink in some kind of celebration.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

difference between "severe" and "strict" | We went swim every day
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Steven held up a convenience store last week.Explain "an all-time high"What is meaning of "knock at"?Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?share vs. takeWhy stands instead of calm?Assignment vs. testExtensive vs. ampleWhy can't I use "appeared in our home" here?Waiting outside in the car? Or "around in the car"?I thought we could go out together?Diffrence between another and "the other"After vs. later