Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

textile; weave; structure; framework; construction
encounter
contract
monitor
fabric
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does diagnose mean?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
'told that same joke' vs. 'told this same joke' | A freedom warrior is a common term...
listening exercises
What does diagnose mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 am   What does diagnose mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #27 "At the Doctors", question 1

As soon as the doctor looked at her, he was able to ......... the cause of her frequent headaches.

(a) decide
(b) diagnose
(c) define
(d) describe

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #27 "At the Doctors", answer 1

As soon as the doctor looked at her, he was able to diagnose the cause of her frequent headaches.

Correct answer: (b) diagnose

please explain to me!!!

Olla
Olla

What does diagnose mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:13 am   What does diagnose mean?

Diagnosis is what doctors do.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does diagnose mean? #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:08 am   What does diagnose mean?

Hi,

I assume you want to know the meaning of 'diagnose'. Putting it simply it suggests the you are identifying/finding the cause of of a problem. As you can see from the test sentence it is often used in a medical sense. It can also be used in a general sense, too as in:

The mechanic soon diagnosed the fault in the car engine.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does diagnose mean? #4 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 am   What does diagnose mean?

Hi Alan,

Yes, I know "diagnose" is mostly for a doctor to check the problems. But in this sentence, I still believe "describe" works:

Diagnose: the doctor need to check and find the cause of her problem.
Describe: the doctor has already checked her patient and got the problem of the patient. Now he can describe the problem clearly in words. Usually, once the doctor finds the problem, he will tell the patient what the problem is. So I just believed that "describe" is the right one for this situation.

What's the problem?
Avec2012

What does diagnose mean? #5 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:09 am   What does diagnose mean?

But he hasn't 'already checked the patient and got the problem out'. It reads 'as soon as the doctor looked at her' (= immediately). In any case, the problem wouldn't be described after it had been identified; it is quite the reverse. It is the description of the symptoms which identify and name (not 'describe') the problem.

'told that same joke' vs. 'told this same joke' | A freedom warrior is a common term...
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Children should never be allowed to playPulling through this periodthat name rings a bellinstill a love for learningget on with the rugby match.I'm catching the red-eyeWhy keep a dog?people enjoyed bowling at village dancesWhy use "starred" in this sentence?What kind of prizes is the US Open?"go out" vs "go on"Why is the answer beside?difference between get away with and get by