Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

certificate; written file
paper
ambivalence
document
calendar
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
until he had seen vs. until he saw | 'to learn to speak English' vs. 'to learn speak English'
listening exercises
What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:50 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

Test No. incompl/inter-83 "Save Our Animals (3)", question 3

She just wished that her father could ......... and be even steven (fair) about her side of the argument.

(a) try
(b) trying
(c) tried
(d) tries

Test No. incompl/inter-83 "Save Our Animals (3)", answer 3

She just wished that her father could try and be even steven (fair) about her side of the argument.

Correct answer: (a) try

Your answer was: correct

what's the word here for fair I don't get it...
Rich7
I'm here quite often ;-)

Even steven #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:39 am   Even steven

The expression even steven means fair. It will greatly help if you read Alan story here:
http://www.english-test.net/lessons/36/index.html

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from an Art History class
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:44 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

Dear teachers,

Why "even steven" means fair?

Thanks in advance

Aiken

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:31 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

Hello Aiken,

No one is exactly sure of the origin of this phrase.

'Even' means 'fair', and most people seem to think that "Even Steven" (also known in some areas as 'Even Stevens') is merely modern rhyming word-play (like "drop dead, Fred", "see you later, alligator" "silly-billy", or "know what I mean, jelly bean?").

There are other theories, including one about a racehorse with the name 'Even Stevens' (that much is fact) who was so good that the odds offered on him in a race were generally no better than 'even'. Another theory dates the phrase back to the beginning of the 18th Century but it gets very complex at this point.
Language Coach

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #5 (permalink) Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

Dear Bees,

Thanks your fully explanation.
For me these rhymings are actually so strange.
Further, do they all originate from America? I've just heard one from my British friends.

Aiken

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:57 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

Most rhyming slang phrases seem to originate from Britain (including this one).
Language Coach

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #7 (permalink) Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:41 pm   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

please explain: about her side of the argument?
argument=quarrel, row?
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #8 (permalink) Mon Sep 26, 2011 18:45 pm   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

yes
Language Coach

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #9 (permalink) Mon Sep 26, 2011 19:31 pm   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

Hi,

I know it as 'even stevens'.

I found this:

Quote:
even stevens/even stephens - equal measures, fair shares, especially financial or value - earliest origins and associations are probably found in Jonathan Swift's 'Journal To Stella' written 20 Jan 1748: "Now we are even quoth Stephen, when he gave his wife six blows for one". A separate and possibly main contributory root is the fact that 'Steven' or 'Stephen' was English slang for money from early 1800's, probably from Dutch stiver/stuiver/stuyver, meaning something of little value, from the name for a low value coin which at one time was the smallest monetary unit in the Cape (presumably South Africa) under the Dutch East India Company, equal to about an old English penny. An expression seems to have appeared in the 1800's 'Steven's at home' meaning one has money. The alliterative (rhyming) sound of the expression would have made it a natural reference or paired words expression and ensured common usage. People like saying things that trip comfortably off the tongue. (ref Cassell)

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #10 (permalink) Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:07 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

pleae explain:
and be fair about her side of the argument?

many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #11 (permalink) Tue Sep 27, 2011 20:31 pm   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

That's a partial sentence. What's the rest?
Language Coach

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #12 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

I know that's a part of the sentence, but what does it mean?

thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #13 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:40 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

Hi Saneta,

Quote:
please explain:
and be fair about her side of the argument?

This suggests that you should be objective and see her point of view within the argument.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does this phrase mean: "even steven"? #14 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 am   What does this phrase mean: "even steven"?

many thanks!
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

until he had seen vs. until he saw | 'to learn to speak English' vs. 'to learn speak English'
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Right just one moreCleft sentences and use of EnglishIs bend the right word to use?what is dandle?What does performance mean?Does 'stir' have to be in the Present form? Shouldn't it be "stirred"?Track versus laneSimple past + past continuousMeaning of cubicleWhy doesn't "knee long" make sense?Meaning of walkaboutWhat does "at his mother's knee" mean?Idiom: they've been walking out together