collection of written records; use of written records as evidence
documentation
announcement
privilege
overview

extinguish vs dampen

My wife got really mad not made | phrasal verb "carry up" = "pick up"?
extinguish vs dampen #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2007 16:17 pm   extinguish vs dampen

ESL/EFL Test #46 "Speaking: At the Station", question 9

There was in fact a small fire in the train on platform 6 but we're glad to tell you that the flames have been ..........

(a) distinguished
(b) dampened
(c) saturated
(d) extinguished

ESL/EFL Test #46 "Speaking: At the Station", answer 9

There was in fact a small fire in the train on platform 6 but we're glad to tell you that the flames have been extinguished.

Correct answer: (d) extinguished

There was in fact a small fire in the train on platform 6 but we're glad to tell you that the flames have been dampened.
_________________________

Hi Alan!
could i choice 'dampened'?
please explain the difference between them?
thanks,
Lam Tung
Lam Tung

extinguish vs dampen #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2007 16:46 pm   extinguish vs dampen

To dampen (or damp) something is to moisten or wet it. Flames can't be wet, but rather put out, which is what 'extinguished' means.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
extinguish vs dampen #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:37 am   extinguish vs dampen

Yeah, and think about a fire extinguisher !

make your purchases vs. make your buyingPhrase: he could be back with his ex-girlfriendWhy can I not use "very kindly" in this case?What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?What is the difference between 'esteem' and 'estimate'?what's the meaning of "water off"?Idiom "old hat"meaning of releaseWhat does smoothed away mean?Swearing in Chinese?What does uphold mean?How do I answer this question?I've tried to use a swear word here!