meanwhile; in the meantime
twice
already
overhead
interim

make your purchases vs. make your buying

Phrase: he could be back with his ex-girlfriend | Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?
make your purchases vs. make your buying #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:40 am   make your purchases vs. make your buying

ESL/EFL Test #45 "Speaking: At the Supermarket", question 9

There are now only ten minutes remaining for you to make your ......... and go to the checkout.

(a) purchases
(b) buying
(c) sales
(d) selling

ESL/EFL Test #45 "Speaking: At the Supermarket", answer 9

There are now only ten minutes remaining for you to make your purchases and go to the checkout.

Correct answer: (a) purchases

There are now only ten minutes remaining for you to make your buying and go to the checkout.
_________________________

why isn't the answer is buying ?

Lucifer
LuciferS

make your purchases vs. make your buying #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:21 am   make your purchases vs. make your buying

The verb normally used with 'buying' is 'do', not 'make'. You can either do your buying or make your purchases.

The use of 'make' and 'do' is another thing you have to be philosophical about in English grammar, I'm afraid.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
"around 50" -- what does it mean?Is it better to turn off tower when not in use for the computer.meaning of "run through"presence vs. presentstell me vs. told mewhat is the meaning of wrapping?what is the meaning of gross and what is equavilent to the verb lay?What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?What is the difference between 'esteem' and 'estimate'?what's the meaning of "water off"?Idiom "old hat"meaning of releasephrasal verb "carry up" = "pick up"?