comprehensive; complete; finished
independent
minute
thorough
outdoor

Difference between care and attention

the difference between in, on and at | Meaning of 'the chickens come home to roost'
Difference between care and attention #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:43 am   Difference between care and attention

Test No. incompl/inter-6 "The Farmer and his Sons", question 3

He wanted his sons to pay as much ......... to the cultivation of the farm as he had done many years.

(a) thought
(b) care
(c) attention
(d) management

Test No. incompl/inter-6 "The Farmer and his Sons", answer 3

He wanted his sons to pay as much attention to the cultivation of the farm as he had done many years.

Correct answer: (c) attention

He wanted his sons to pay as much care to the cultivation of the farm as he had done many years.
_________________________

Why the correct answer is attention not care? please. explain. Thank you verry much
Tina

Attention #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:55 am   Attention

There are two expressions here: pay attention to and take care of. You need the first one here because of the preposition to and the verb pay in the sentence.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between care and attention #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:46 am   Difference between care and attention

Can I say '... as he had done FOR many years'? Is there any difference between the sentence with or without FOR?

Please enlighten me as to this question about the present perfect tense and correct me. Many thanks in advance.

TTG
Ttg

Difference between care and attention #4 (permalink) Sat Feb 06, 2010 15:59 pm   Difference between care and attention

You would really need 'for' in that sentence to indicate a period of time otherwise 'many years' becomes the direct object.

_________________

Difference between care and attention #5 (permalink) Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:25 am   Difference between care and attention

Thank you, Alan.

So I think the test No. incompl/inter-6 "The Farmer and his Sons", question 3 that "He wanted his sons to pay as much ......... to the cultivation of the farm as he had done many years." should be amended and add FOR to indicate a period of time.

TTG
Ttg

Why might advertising have an impact many years after it appears?sort into vs. fall intooverpass vs. intersectionwith whom (or) whom ... withDifference between yet and already? Why is "yet" not appropriate here?Sentence: Who was the woman I saw you laughing with yesterday?Meaning of parrotsWe're going right after work.I'm going to a movie vs. I'm going to watch a moviequiet instead of rangeJacob Freeman, a bank teller was recently evaluated by his superior...sentence using than as a subordinating conjuctionPhrase: I have possibly inherited this disability