to stance
scan
pose
envision
overlap

What is the difference between smuggler and criminal?

pronoun-animals | Chance vs. opportunity
What is the difference between smuggler and criminal? #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 19, 2007 0:57 am   What is the difference between smuggler and criminal?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #113 "Synonyms for robber and burglar", question 5

This deserted ship was used by ......... many years ago. They stored here the goods they had taken illegally from one country to another.

(a) smugglers
(b) criminals
(c) bandits
(d) intruders

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #113 "Synonyms for robber and burglar", answer 5

This deserted ship was used by smugglers many years ago. They stored here the goods they had taken illegally from one country to another.

Correct answer: (a) smugglers
_________________________

what is the difference between smuggler and criminal?

Esta
Esta

What is the difference between smuggler and criminal? #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 am   What is the difference between smuggler and criminal?

A criminal is someone who commits a crime (illegal act). A smuggler takes goods into or out of a place secretly. When smuggling is illegal, the smuggler is a criminal.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between smuggler and criminal? #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:52 am   What is the difference between smuggler and criminal?

smuggling is always illegal :)
I'd say that a smuggler is a kind of criminal.

What is the difference between smuggler and criminal? #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:17 am   What is the difference between smuggler and criminal?

It's true enough that smuggling is often illegal. But think, for example, of a celebrity trying to avoid paparazzi and having to smuggle out of their house. Or a child smuggling a pet into their bedroom (which they'd been forbidden to do). Now, I wouldn't call these criminals. :)

What is the difference between smuggler and criminal? #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 11, 2011 18:15 pm   What is the difference between smuggler and criminal?

i have a question regarding your previous explanation conchita.

if it's correct to say that someone can smuggle out of his house, now i'm having a confusion. you said that to smuggle is to take goods into or out of a place secretly. then can someone smuggle him/herself? if yes, then what's the difference between to smuggle (myself) and to intrude?

can you also explain about this one: when someone is in a place where he actually doesn't belong to or when someone is secretly entering a place, is he a smuggler or an intruder?

thank you very much for your assistance :))
Wacky_Freccs

What is the difference between smuggler and criminal? #6 (permalink) Thu Aug 11, 2011 20:17 pm   What is the difference between smuggler and criminal?

You cannot correctly use the term 'smuggle out of my house' when speaking about yourself, but you can say, 'smuggle myself out of my house'. - leave your house in secrecy. However, you would only use this about yourself to create a particular image/effect in the mind of the person you are speaking to. The usual usage is to smuggle somebody else or something out of a place.

An intrusion is quite different. This is where you enter a place without invitation. Hopefully this answers your last question -- the person is an intruder.
_________________

Grammar queryGrammarWhy are you looking for a new job?take out another loanWhen to use 'of' and when to use 'for'?listening to her speakAre you off your head?People who take care of tame bees are called bee keepers...What does 'get the goods on' mean?'put the plates ON the table' vs 'put the plates OVER the table'difference between sight and siteuse Understand instead of UnderstoodCan you tell me the difference between "of" and "in"? (pr