supplier; seller; merchant; agent; sales representative
journalist
chain
dealer
savvy

Is holiday uncountable?

What are common characteristics associated with successful entrepreneurs? | What is the difference between a burglar and an intruder?
Is holiday uncountable? #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:06 am   Is holiday uncountable?

ESL/EFL Test #98 "Articles in English Grammar", question 3

Please meet me at the train station in ......... hour from now.

(a) a
(b) an
(c) the

ESL/EFL Test #98 "Articles in English Grammar", answer 3

Please meet me at the train station in an hour from now.

Correct answer: (b) an
_________________________

an hour is correct ,and why an holiday is wrong?

Thank you yolanda
yolanda

Is holiday uncountable? #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:28 am   Is holiday uncountable?

We can't say 'an holiday' because the article 'an' is used before words beginning with a vowel sound, like 'hour'. Since the 'h' in holiday is pronounced, we say 'a holiday'.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Expressions "like a paper-weight"When to use "back" and "ago"active voice vs. passive voicewhat does "speak his mind" mean?what do I have to present in this presentation?stung vs stingingdifferrence between honest and honouredrejected vs. objected'lend us some money' vs 'lend some money to us'what does the expression "l'll turn in" mean?Idiom: "to eat the words"What does 'at issue' mean? Is it an idiom?What idioms are prepositional phrases?