Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

into the city center; into the the town
seamlessly
downtown
plain
instead
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Phrase: "team just won the final game"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
David withheld information during the criminal investigation | why should be fly instead of flow?
listening exercises
Phrase: "team just won the final game" #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:42 am   Phrase: "team just won the final game"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #266 "Irregular Verbs Test (14)", question 7

Our hometown football team just ......... the final game of the season!

(a) win
(b) won
(c) winning

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #266 "Irregular Verbs Test (14)", answer 7

Our hometown football team just won the final game of the season!

Correct answer: (b) won

I want to get the explaination.

Jumito
Jumito

Phrase: "team just won the final game" #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 22, 2007 16:32 pm   Phrase: "team just won the final game"

You see, we don't have any signals of other tenses, except "just" for past tense. To my knowledge, "just" is sometimes a signal for past tense.

You cannot choose (a) win because Our hometown football team is a singular subject. And (b) winning is more impossible because we don't have any "to be" verb.
Tortoise
I'm here quite often ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Phrase: "team just won the final game" #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:26 am   Phrase: "team just won the final game"

Nice explanation, tortoise.

Phrase: "team just won the final game" #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 14, 2013 19:36 pm   Phrase: "team just won the final game"

why not: has just won?
thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Phrase: "team just won the final game" #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 14, 2013 20:26 pm   Phrase: "team just won the final game"

That is also possible.
Language Coach

David withheld information during the criminal investigation | why should be fly instead of flow?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
for an agreed upon amountso I could have her call yousend a phone number by snail mail having written it on the handed piece of paperto travel light -- to travel without much luggagehis cows broke into the grain binI couldn't care less.a litter of puppiesI know it's hard, but you have to stick with itMeaning of "you can count on me"What does household mean?Who is uncle?Can you give me an example of irony?difference between dither and distract